A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

possible coolant leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible coolant leaks

Hi Guys,

while i was changing the oil this past weekend i noticed the car was low on coolant. i didn't see much under the hood (it was late at night), but i was wondering where if any know issues with the A4's leaking coolant? is there specific known parts that fail on these cars? for example on the original S cars the aux water pump fittings were know to fail, anything like that on these cars for me to have a look at?

Thank you in advance guys
Old 05-15-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant flange. Check behind the motor.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree the most likely is flange. Peer between the firewall and the back of the engine on the passenger side and if you are in the same boat I was, you will see pink all over the tranny. Other possibilities:

1) Driver's side just in front of the firewall; this would be the coolant hose that feeds the heater core. I had this leak on a previous A4 when the spring that holds the hoses together gets weak.
2) J plug, just behind the thermostat and above the oil cooler.
3) Return line at the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side. Again, spring gets weak.

Should be easy to find; just look for pink...assuming you have the right coolant.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you guys and ofc is pink
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sanadrustom
Hi Guys,

while i was changing the oil this past weekend i noticed the car was low on coolant. i didn't see much under the hood (it was late at night), but i was wondering where if any know issues with the A4's leaking coolant? is there specific known parts that fail on these cars? for example on the original S cars the aux water pump fittings were know to fail, anything like that on these cars for me to have a look at?

Thank you in advance guys
You will be able to smell the coolant even while driving...and yes, look for pink residues behind engine - use a torch light! Must replace coolant flange - most reasonable costwise. To replace heater coil the whole console must be removed and very costly. Audi must re-design this so the heater block is easily accessible for replacement!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys

So I looked at it today finally and it's leaking where you guys have pointed me to but unclear exactly what needs to be replaced. Any one got a write up or pictures to point out exactly where this can be nipped in the butt? I don't want it giving out on me

Cheers
Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Which location. Back of the engine passenger side? If so, DIY with pictures below.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ant+flange+diy
Old 05-28-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Stumbled across another one on AW.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng76.shtml
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you kindly this should go very smoothly much appreciated. Is this flange found easily or do I need to get it from a specialty places?

Cheers
Originally Posted by lyleswk
Stumbled across another one on AW.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng76.shtml
Old 05-29-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would stick with one of the online Audi suppliers that have OEM parts like ECSTuning.

Quick Reply: possible coolant leaks