A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

oil on spark plug and coil pack

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil on spark plug and coil pack

While changing the spark plugs, I found oil on the coil pack and spark plug. Anyone know what might be causing this? Is it a serious issue that needs to be fixed right away?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Which plug? What motor?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

The reason I ask is on 1.8T the oil fill is right next to a plug so if you get over zealous it can spill down in there. So it might not be an issue at all. Otherwise could be serious.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powderider
While changing the spark plugs, I found oil on the coil pack and spark plug. Anyone know what might be causing this? Is it a serious issue that needs to be fixed right away?
I had a similar issue on my '02 1.8T that i noticed when I changed out the plugs and coilpacks. For me, it was caused by a leaking valve cover gasket, which is a fairly common problem. I changed out the VC gaskets (2 pieces) as well as the cam chain tensioner gasket while I had it opened up.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amad_a4
Which plug? What motor?
plug #1 on a 3.0 (2002 A4).
Old 10-06-2009, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiCO
I had a similar issue on my '02 1.8T that i noticed when I changed out the plugs and coilpacks. For me, it was caused by a leaking valve cover gasket, which is a fairly common problem. I changed out the VC gaskets (2 pieces) as well as the cam chain tensioner gasket while I had it opened up.
how much did that cost? or did you do it yourself?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it myself with the help of Bentley and a couple write-ups found here and elsewhere. Mind you this was on the 1.8 so on a 3.0 there are two valve covers and twice the number of gaskets.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree moreso with AudiCO in regards to the leaking valve cover gasket. Same issue here on my A4 2002 1.8T Quattro. On the 1.8T's, the valve cover gasket kits encompass an outer gasket and an inner gasket that seals around the plug area. Changed out in 30 minutes and solved the leak. Note: You may want to verify if a little gasket seal may be needed on a few specific areas around the gasket before finishing up, as opposed to just using the gasket alone.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

yeah for those of us with the 1.8t. it's an easy DIY repplacement. Here is one of the easiest write-ups:
http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...tml&category=5
Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiDriver
I agree moreso with AudiCO in regards to the leaking valve cover gasket. Same issue here on my A4 2002 1.8T Quattro. On the 1.8T's, the valve cover gasket kits encompass an outer gasket and an inner gasket that seals around the plug area. Changed out in 30 minutes and solved the leak. Note: You may want to verify if a little gasket seal may be needed on a few specific areas around the gasket before finishing up, as opposed to just using the gasket alone.
did you have any other issues that was a result of the leaking valve cover gasket? i'm also having problems starting the car... it doesn't happen all the time but when it does, i have to crank the car for 5-10 seconds to start it. and sometimes i have to do that 3-4 times to work. once it starts, it idles harshly for a minute then returns to normal... i also notice a lot of white smoke from the exhaust. could this be attributed to the leak? or is it something else completely?

also, anyone know of a write up on changing the gasket for a 3.0?

Quick Reply: oil on spark plug and coil pack