A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

"oil leaking from turbo"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "oil leaking from turbo"

Hey everyone,

I have a 1.8t Audi A4 automatic. I just got it out of the shop because oil was going everywhere. not sure where from.I took it to a trusted mechaninc who only works Audi, BMW, etc. He said that to fully repair it would cost me somewhere around 1400. Itold him just to do the minimum. Now my car doesnt smoke but the oil light still comes on sometimes.He said that there is a drip coming from the turbo. Im not sure what that means but i get the burning oil smell and oil light also if i luck undermy car I can see a good aount of oil on the engine parts (looking at the caril is on the left) does anyone have any insight as to maybe how i could fix this issue.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bdavisga
Hey everyone,

I have a 1.8t Audi A4 automatic. I just got it out of the shop because oil was going everywhere. not sure where from.I took it to a trusted mechaninc who only works Audi, BMW, etc. He said that to fully repair it would cost me somewhere around 1400. Itold him just to do the minimum. Now my car doesnt smoke but the oil light still comes on sometimes.He said that there is a drip coming from the turbo. Im not sure what that means but i get the burning oil smell and oil light also if i luck undermy car I can see a good aount of oil on the engine parts (looking at the caril is on the left) does anyone have any insight as to maybe how i could fix this issue.
the oil light warning lamp (genie light) on the dash indicates low oil pressure which is not good. It is not recommended that you run the vehicle when that warning lamp lights up. To fix oil leaks you have to get dirty, you have to just look at the motor and see where its coming from, possible valve cover gasket, cam seals etc., wash motor completely get rid of all muck and oil then run car and look for oil leaks
Old 12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default leak

what was the "fully" repair? what was involve to fully repair and what was the minimum done?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by s4master1
what was the "fully" repair? what was involve to fully repair and what was the minimum done?
He replaced the thermostat housing, cleaned the PCV tubes Thermostat it self was replaced and the timing belt rensioner was replaced. All of which I know do not have anything to do with the oil leak. Today I was driving the car and when I idle smoke will come from the exhaust pipes and sometimes into the car itself. the car runs fine and everthing just oils is all over the bottom of the car. I was thinking of maybe replacing the entire turbo itself would that remedy the leaking turbo?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bdavisga
He replaced the thermostat housing, cleaned the PCV tubes Thermostat it self was replaced and the timing belt rensioner was replaced. All of which I know do not have anything to do with the oil leak. Today I was driving the car and when I idle smoke will come from the exhaust pipes and sometimes into the car itself. the car runs fine and everthing just oils is all over the bottom of the car. I was thinking of maybe replacing the entire turbo itself would that remedy the leaking turbo?
There is an oil line that runs to the turbo, follow the oil line and see where it bolts to the turbo and check for leaks.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ianbis
There is an oil line that runs to the turbo, follow the oil line and see where it bolts to the turbo and check for leaks.
When there is low oil pressure, the Turbo oil seal fails and oil goes directly into the exhaust system. This takes a long time to burn out. I recommend you drop the oil pan and check the oil pump inlet screen. These plug with hard plastic and sludge and cause flow restrictions to the oil pump and low oil pressure. I have done this on two A4's and found nearly fully plugged screens. Obviously, if the turbo seal is leaking, this also must be fixed/replaced.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same problem and replaced the turbo. I could not wait and allow the oil to burn out of the exhaust system. I was tired of looking at the smoke plume exiting the car under load (at it's hotest). The next issue is cleaning the exhaust system of all the oil. I removed the exhaust system and cleaned it (no kidding). I am a Chemical Engineer and I used the same cleaning method we use at chemical plant sites. I removed the exhaust system and cleaned with gasoline. I plugged the ends of the pipes and I then mixed a TIDE solution and put in exhaust system. This removed most of the gas. I then rinsed with water until clean. Believe it or not, it worked!