A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

New rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rotors

I have to buy new rotors, my zimmerman rotors I bought less than two years ago are corroding, especially the front right. I did have the front right wheel bearing replaced recently too... anyway, I'm upgrading to slotted/cross drilled and I'm considering ecs tuning's rotors. Anyone have these and is there something else I should be fixing if the rotor corroded so quickly? I've put about 24k miles on them.

02, 104k miles
Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i installed zimmerman drilled rotors about 6 months ago and they do rust like a *****...

... this is gonna be a weird question, can you take pics of your front rotors on each side of the car. I just noticed that the pattern of drilled holes in the rotor on the left front go toward the rear of the car... now the ones on the right front go toward the front...???? so even if you flip flop them it would be the same. I am not sure if this is incorrect or makes a difference, but your the first person that i have met with these rotors.

thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default the zimmermans I have on the car now aren't actually drilled...

I'm planning to upgrade to crossdrilled. I can still take a pic for ya... they're starting to look like slotted rotors with all the corrosion, haha.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yea if you could take a pic and post it that would be great!!!

both sides if possible. I just need to compare what i have to someone eles.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default rotor pics

https://forums.audiworld.com/picture...ctureid=216097

https://forums.audiworld.com/picture...ctureid=216098

The first pic is the passenger side, second pic is driver side, you can see a huge difference in the two, the passenger side is way worse. Sorry, I was too lazy to take the wheels off.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Former Vendor

Zimmermann rotors aren't directional rotors. The drill pattern is identical on the left and right rotors. So while the drill patter might look like it's directional, it's ultimately the vane of the rotor that determine the direction a rotor has to spin. Zimmermann rotors have non-directional vanes, so it doesn't matter which side of the car they're mounted on.

Most Zimmermann rotors don't have any sort of plating on them. Non plated rotors will rust on all non-braking surfaces. This is mostly cosmetic and won't alter the performance of the rotors. Some newer Zimmermanns are not coming with a plating on them which can help reduce the rusting on the non-braking surfaces for a nicer aesthetic look.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS
Zimmermann rotors aren't directional rotors. The drill pattern is identical on the left and right rotors. So while the drill patter might look like it's directional, it's ultimately the vane of the rotor that determine the direction a rotor has to spin. Zimmermann rotors have non-directional vanes, so it doesn't matter which side of the car they're mounted on.

Most Zimmermann rotors don't have any sort of plating on them. Non plated rotors will rust on all non-braking surfaces. This is mostly cosmetic and won't alter the performance of the rotors. Some newer Zimmermanns are not coming with a plating on them which can help reduce the rusting on the non-braking surfaces for a nicer aesthetic look.
mike,
thanks for the info on that!!! I wasnt sure if the direction of the drill pattern mattered or was a problem. Cool, i really wasnt worried or truly concerned because the brakes sound fine, work fine, and are wearing evenly so.... thanks bro