A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Need some help from you 1.8T guys......

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help from you 1.8T guys......

One of my buddies has an 05 1.8T with ATPs Eliminator kit, all the hard pipes, and REVO software.

His car is running the Greentop Injectors, but he's still on the stock MAF housing. He's not happy with how the car runs, although he was told that is the setup from REVO....

I don't understand how you could run a GT series turbo at high boost with 42lb injectors on a dinky stock MAF...I haven't had time to log his car yet, but I intend to.

Are any of you running this setup? What is your hardware? Have you made any changes? Anyone know if the adaptation channels are open on REVOs software for this application?

Any info would be great. My first reaction upon inspection of this setup is the MAF housing HAS to be changed so to for airflow readings, because i'm willing to bet the sensor is maxing out very early in the rpm band. With a bigger maf we'd have to add fuel and change load values to get the car running properly.

Discuss away...
Old 04-26-2007, 12:04 PM

sorry...its Revo's Eliminator kit with ATP Manifold.....not for nothing but this kit sucks, lol.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Much depends on his ECU programming.....

Software can and does compensate for much these days. Understanding its relation to components and their function is key to making verious BT setups function properly under the hood, and down the road.

Simply stating "the MAF housing HAS to be changed" without properly backing up this claim with accurite and repeatable data, is simply guessing, and can have castrophic results for the engine.

Do you know for certain Revo has not programmed the stock MAF into his setup?

You mentioned, "He's not happy with how the car runs"? Exactly how is it not running right? CEL? Mis-fire? low-Power?

Why he no post here? ;O)
Old 04-26-2007, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Who installed the kit?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Its Revo's software....with the timing and boost dials OBD2 hookup interface.

Its part of the Eliminator kit.....but the MAF sensor will only read up to certain range...beyond that range you need to lower the scaling by increasing MAF housing diameter to get the readings back down within range. This is a hardware limitation, not software.....

i'm not saying the software is great either, any software written to run these boost levels on a stock MAF is not something I would feel comfortable running.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Default It was done locally at his shop. it was installed properly....

its a pretty simple job, an oil lube mechanic could do it.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That kit doesn't require a new MAF

Stock is sufficient.

What is the problem he's experiencing? "Not happy with how the car runs" is kind of unclear.

I'm sure you'll see when logging that the MAF reading is not actually peaking early.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default If you alter the MAF without altering the REVO programming...

your asking for even more problems.

Your friend needs to "data-log" his engine sensors, intrepret what the numbers are saying, and go from there.

While it maybe the MAF, I'd never change it unless the data-logs prove it to be so.<ul><li><a href="http://www.revotechnik.com/products/pdf/sps.pdf">http://www.revotechnik.com/products/pdf/sps.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 04-26-2007, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Somethings not right! Otherwise your friend would be happy with it....

Ask that there local lube mechanic what his best guess is, as to whats wrong?

Then find a mechanic who speaks REVO &amp; GT28RS setups...see what he say?

I bet you get 2 different answers ;O)
Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 PM

Default if it peaks late, thats still a problem, it can't peak at all or be too close to the upper threshold

My issue with the stock MAF is that it allows NO headroom WHAT SO EVER...

So although you *might* not max it out during the summer months...one cold night is all it takes. And I have a hard time believing that small dinky 2.5inch MAF housing won't max out on the higher boost settings available on the REVO box....I could be wrong, but i'd slap myself and call me a sally.

I'll have to do a few ECUx logs on this car and see whats up.

I haven't driven the car yet, so my appologies for the illusive diagnosis. But he tells me the car isn't smooth, doesn't feel the power is where it should be and he's popped a few codes...

One of which, IIRC was MAF upper threshold reading.

Quick Reply: Need some help from you 1.8T guys......