A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

I gave my car the seafoam treatment tonight, and I think it exposed a potential problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I gave my car the seafoam treatment tonight, and I think it exposed a potential problem...

First off, make sure you use that stuff outside, not in a garage. I'm lucky it was windy tonight, and that the garage had a back door.

When I was feeding the seafoam in thru the vacuum line nipple, where the DV hooks up to the intake on the front of the manifold, I notice the fumes coming from the turbo side of the engine! Upon closer inspection, I could see some of the seafoam leaking out of the seal between the exhaust header and the turbo, hitting the hot turbo, and getting me high from the smoke. :-(

Is this a problem, or does everyone else see this when they seafoam? Can I just try tightening the bolts holding the turbo to the exhaust header? Or should I try replacing that seal/gasket? It is hard to replace?

I have a 2004 with 60K miles, and the seafoam made a bigger difference than I thought it would. Acceleration is now very smooth. The engine also runs quieter... Not sure about power, its harder to tell because the car does not surge at all while accelerating. I'd highly recommend trying seafoam, its super easy to do.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Watching thread.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

where does one obtain it? any directions for use?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:24 PM

Default try tightening the bolts

Are you modded at all? The bolts shouldnt be loose on the stock turbo. I saw the same thing when I seafoamed but I have a GTRS kit and my manifold bolts had backed out slightly
Old 10-27-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Autozone, PepBoys, Napa etc

7 bucks a can. Check the tech article for instructions on seafoam. Should be a couple or articles there
Old 10-28-2006, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nope, no engine mods at all...

The car has seen its fair share of track use though, maybe the heat from track use has done this?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:38 AM

2hd that.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:43 AM

what the heck is it?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I didn't use Seafoam but used BG prodcuts instead as recommendeed by APR

My local Audi dealership was trained this summer to offer the services and I had a fuel and oil system flush done.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bgprod.com/home.html">http://www.bgprod.com/home.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-28-2006, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Normal. Intense vapour pressure in manifold as witnessed through tailpipe smoke. A restrictor would-

be best on the hose that goes into the Seafoam/Berryman's. Less solvent at slower pace would clean better anyway. I've basicly went back to Berryman's spray or Gumout shot into the intake under the edge of a rubber boot...somewhere AFTER the MAF. I hear a cool engine is better. Ona car with over 50k or unknown service, nothing wrong with a good 'ol piston soak with whatever leftover solvents and MMO/2cycle oil you have.

re: the smoke is also caused by different areas of the engine and manifold getting hotter than usual and burning off crap from the outside of the manifold and plumbing.

Quick Reply: I gave my car the seafoam treatment tonight, and I think it exposed a potential problem...