A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

How long are tires good for "AGE WISE" regardless of tread?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How long are tires good for "AGE WISE" regardless of tread?

I have 4 Blizzaks that "look" to be in very good shape that were on rims but the tire date on the sidewall is from nearly 10 years ago. My shop said that they could fall apart due to age and that appearence and even though stored inside the garage or basement would not matter. Is this all good advice? I am so tempted to use them this winter as they appear fine but perhaps any rubber over 10 years old is unsafe?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also heard from my shop that the rubber compound does have a shelf life. I'm not sure what the number of years is but 10 years does sound pretty aged, especially considering that most tires that are being used on a normal basis will rarely see that length of time on the road.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by snowchaser
I am so tempted to use them this winter as they appear fine but perhaps any rubber over 10 years old is unsafe?
I would be tempted to use them too. Check them for cracks on a regular basis.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that if you kept them at a constant temperature it should be ok the use them. If they were expensive tires you should not have a problem with them. Also check if the have cracks and also if they hold the air. If you decide to put them on, test them first at a low speed (you dont wanna explode at high speeds) and also is a good idea to tell the guy which will put air in them that they are old. If you dont have any choice and money I say that you can risk it, but if you can sell them or trade, do it cause in that much time they can lose some of the properties, and the winter tires are good just because the are not so hard at low temperature (and if they lost this property..they are useless).
Old 10-07-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by safetyresearch.net

Further, Kane’s comments to NHTSA disclosed little-known warnings in the owner’s manuals of German vehicles (i.e., Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW) and Toyota that tires older than six years posed dangers. This information, combined with a number of other technical documents provide clear evidence that the tire and vehicle manufacturers are aware of, and likely in the possession of important data and testing upon which these obscure findings were based. However, none of this information was disclosed to NHTSA in response to its request for comments about tire aging.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Costco wont reinstall a tire more than 5 years old. Not sure what that is based on though.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Liability. They won't even install a lower rated tire than what the manufacturer installed, i.e. if it was built with V rated tires, they won't put H rated tires on it.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Liability. They won't even install a lower rated tire than what the manufacturer installed, i.e. if it was built with V rated tires, they won't put H rated tires on it.
If I owned a tire shop i would not do that either. The mfg speed rating for a tire is based on that cars top speed.

People are not experts on car tires. Some guy will go into a shop and ask for a lower speed rated tire to save money, the shop installs it, then the guy goes out does a speed run, tires explode then he dies. So you could say liability (which is true), but it is also to protect the consumer from their own stupidity.