A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

how do you seafoam a 2002 audi 3.0???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you seafoam a 2002 audi 3.0???

iv looked around the internet and am still not clear as to where put the seafoam in the 3.0 models. does anyone know which vacuum line to insert the seafoam in??
Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default heres the vacuum line diagram.

can anyone help me out??
thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vacuum Diagram.pdf (116.0 KB, 715 views)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Found this on az. Have no idea if this is correct or not. It alludes to some youtube vidoes of b5'2 with the 2.8 that is apparently similar to your 3.0. Good luck.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hlight=seafoam
Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up using the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator when I did mine (number 14 in the vacuum diagram). I can't tell you whether it evenly distributes the seafoam to all cylinders, but it seemed to work well and was easy to get to. If you need more explanation or pictures, let me know and I can try to post some when I get home today.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks guys for the quick responses.
and close but no dice, the b5 2.8 has a lot more vacuum lines then the b6 3.0.

but yea i would really appreciate an explanation and/or pictures. this is gonna be my first time ever using seafoam, and i would really hate to **** **** up.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

The fuel pressure regulator is item number 14 in your vacuum diagram (which is circled in yellow). I chose this point because it is one of the few points that was accessible and that didn't have the possibility of sucking the seafoam into another part of the vacuum system (due to the one way valve I circled in red).

Basically, you can see the vacuum hose I disconnected in the second picture, because I replaced it with one that is yellow. The flexible vacuum hose coming off of the fuel pressure regulator is actually connected to a hard plastic vacuum line, which then enters the back side of the engine. Be prepared to have some spare vacuum hose on hand because the end of the hard plastic vacuum line broke when I tried to disconnect it... I guess it was just so brittle from years of heat. Anyhow, it was no big deal, I just used the flexible hose that was a couple inches longer and hooked everything back up.

So, I basically disconnected the vacuum line at the point where the hard plastic line meets the flexible rubber line (the yellow hose in my picture), and I clamped the flexible rubber line (don't know whether this is necessary). I then hooked up a spare flexible rubber line to the hard plastic one, and dipped that into my seafoam. Hope this makes sense...

Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks for taking your time with the pictures, i really appreciate it. and yea everything makes sense.

do i have to make sure its the liquid not the spray seafoam??
and also how much seafoam would you recommend i use per application?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, it's generally recommended that you use between 1/3 and 1/2 can injested through your vacuum line. If you want to do the full treatment you would basically do the following:

1. Buy two cans of the liquid seafoam

2. Drive to the gas station, pour one full can in your gas tank, then fill up your tank

3. About 100 miles before your next oil change, pour half a can of seafoam directly into your crankcase

4. At this time, you can take the other half can of seafoam and feed it into your vacuum line. Pour the half can of seafoam into a plastic cup or another container that will allow you to see how much you're sucking up. Hook up some spare hose to that hard plastic line I described above (clamp the remainin vacuum line coming out of the fuel pressure regulator if you want to do what I did), and then start your car. Get a buddy to rev the engine slightly to around 2000 rpm. At this time, take your vacuum hose and _slowly_ dip it into the cup of seafoam. You do not want to simply put the hose in the bottom of the cup because you can stall the engine, and the seafoam won't do its stuff properly. After you have slowly sucked the entire half can of seafoam down, immediately turn the car off. Hook your vacuum lines back up properly. Have a beer or two, walk your dog, do whatever to entertain yourself for at least 5 minutes, but longer if you want. Start your car back up and watch the smoke show. Find some back roads where no cops hang out and go drive your car like you stole it for the first few miles.

5. Drive for no more than ~100 miles, and DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE YOUR OIL because you don't want to leave the Seafoam in your crankcase for too long.

I believe that's the full regimen.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks! i just bout two cans today and will be doing the treatment sometime this week.
is there an easy way to go about cutting and repairing the vaccuum line??
Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hmm so i sucked up about 1/3 of a can thru the vaccuum line and waited 15 minutes before i started my car and then when i did no smoke show?? did i do it wrong somehow??

Quick Reply: how do you seafoam a 2002 audi 3.0???