A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Glowing red manifold/turbo and rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
OTB
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glowing red manifold/turbo and rattle.

This is an '03 1.8T avant, stock. All factory maintenance has been on schedule.

Yesterday coming down the mountain canyon, and today going up the canyon, my car developed a bad rattle. It has high pitched and could be compared to dragging a coat hanger under the car or dragging a plastic grocery bag or something.

I noticed tonight, when driving somewhat spiritedly up the canyon, that it started rattling again. I had boost the whole, time then when I slowed down to listen to the rattle, the car ran poorly and stalled. When i got out, I saw a glowing red exh manifold and turbo. When I started it back up, it idled poorly and made a strange hissing or grinding for a few seconds. I could still hear the rattle, but much quieter, and it sounded like it's coming from the cat converter area. After that it idled ok and the manifold cooled down.

Is there a reason why it would have this same problem engine braking down the canyon, as well as powering up the canyon?

I always let the car cool before shutting it off, and I never drive hard until temperature is near 50 percent.

any advice would be appreciated

cheers
Old 10-09-2008, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default any check engine light?

the glowing mainfold/turbine is normal for hard driving so don't wory about that. You could have a bad cat where the element cracked and is loose but I'd guess you may have a bad coil. See if anyone can scan the car for you and report with the findings.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds like the matrix core of the cat is loose. ....

Have the car scanned for DTCs that may help determine why the idle was rough and stalled. Try and see if there is any freeze frame data associated with the stalls.
It's unclear if there is any association between the rattle noise and the rough idle or stalls.
It's normal for the ex manifold and the turbine housing of the turbo to glow red hot during and immediately after high load operation until the parts cool down somewhat.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:12 PM
OTB
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Glowing red manifold/turbo and rattle.

No check engine light, and I can't imagine it's a bad coil because the car runs normal as long as I don't do a lot of 4k rmp's for a while. No check engine light and no water temp above normal.

If the cat is the caulprit, I would appreciate some advice on how to troubleshoot it, and also recommended replacement.

cheers
Old 10-10-2008, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The only way to confirm the loose cat matrix is to remove the cat and inspect ....

The cat warranty covers for 8 years/80,000 miles, so if it's faulty, have the dealer replace it with a new OEM part. Loose cat cores are common failures, it happens all the time. There may be cat related DTCs stored even though the CEL is not ON.