A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

ECT Sensor help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT Sensor help!

Hey guys - I tried posting this over on the zine but they're so hard on cosmetic upgrades that they don't seem to care about the general maintenance updates! I have a 3.0L and want to swap out my ECT sensor bc the one I have is bad, but I'm not really sure where it's located. I've found DIY's for the 1.8T but nothing for the 3.0's other than 1 random post I found via google that was hard to understand. Can anybody help me with this? I plan on fixing it this weekend before I start getting misfires.. I'm just looking for a procedure or some pics of the location (nothing fancy).. thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ect location 3.0 v6

i've searched through the manual and haven't found any good description on how to remove it so i imagine it's just as easy as finding it and replacing it. good luck
Attached Thumbnails ECT Sensor help!-ect.jpg  
Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

dude, theodore... you're a friggin lifesaver!! thanks a bunch man, i really appreciate it
Old 03-28-2009, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hey bud this one is for the G62. Is there anything in your bentley software that mentions the G2? Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default try this

when i search the manual the only thing for the 3.0 that mentions the g2 is pin assingments for the wiring and the sensor. these are the illustrations and they seem to put you back in the same spot on the motor.

remove rear engine cover

remove bolts for solenoid valve retaining plate- 3 arrows, remove air intake hose (1) at maf, and remove hose (4) at air duct (2)

remove bolt (arrow) and pull off air duct (2) at throttle control module

disconnect elec connection (2) at sensor, disregard (1)

pin assign for 4 pin connection at ect sensor G2
1.wiring from sensor to cluster (temp gauge)
2.ground (-)
there is no more information that i can find and there is no info on pin 3 and 4.

seems like maybe the illustration of the component location for the g62 may be mislabeled.

good luck
andrew
Attached Thumbnails ECT Sensor help!-main.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default one last

looks like the sensor is either or??
Attached Thumbnails ECT Sensor help!-main.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The G2/G62 refers to the locations. In the older A4's they had 2 separate ECT sensors. 1 at the rear of the engine (G62) while the other (G2) is below the drivers side headlight (must follow the coolant hose from the reservoir tank). They claim that they did away with 2 sensors and combined them into 1 which is why the new G62/G2 combo sensor has 4 pins. The G2 pins control the ECU while the G62 control the temp needle (I think, maybe vice versa). What I was unsure about is whether my 2004 has the combo one or not. I tried looking for the one near the headlight but couldn't find anything. It's probably okay, but I thought maybe it said something in your manual. Thanks again Andrew - you've been a real help!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theodore
when i search the manual the only thing for the 3.0 that mentions the g2 is pin assingments for the wiring and the sensor. these are the illustrations and they seem to put you back in the same spot on the motor.

remove rear engine cover

remove bolts for solenoid valve retaining plate- 3 arrows, remove air intake hose (1) at maf, and remove hose (4) at air duct (2)

remove bolt (arrow) and pull off air duct (2) at throttle control module

disconnect elec connection (2) at sensor, disregard (1)

pin assign for 4 pin connection at ect sensor G2
1.wiring from sensor to cluster (temp gauge)
2.ground (-)
there is no more information that i can find and there is no info on pin 3 and 4.

seems like maybe the illustration of the component location for the g62 may be mislabeled.

good luck
andrew
swrt83, Just did this on Friday. You'll need remove that air duct on the back of the engine to get to the sensor. It's a PIA to get to. I had to use an air rachet with a hex socket to get to it. When you pull it out, coolant will go everywhere, so make sure you have the belly pan off and something to catch most of it below the car. Also, make sure you replace the gasket when you put the new one in. Changing this resolved some annoying misfire issues for me that I've been chasing down for years.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

^ Wow - sounds like you went through alot.. I was able to get the hex bolt unscrewed along with the three 10mm bolts on the top of the manifold.. then unscrewed the rubber hose from the air duct to the left of the mani. This was enough to loosen it up and get my hands back there. Not ideal conditions since you can't see much.. but fixed it within 20 mins or so with some help from a friend! Had a tiny bit of coolant come out but not much since the engine was cold. Gasket?? You mean the o-ring? I replaced it all and it seems like it's helped with my rough idle.. gonna rescan it in the next couple of days to see if I'm still throwing any codes.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excellent. Sounds like you had a better experience than me.

Originally Posted by swrt83
^ Wow - sounds like you went through alot.. I was able to get the hex bolt unscrewed along with the three 10mm bolts on the top of the manifold.. then unscrewed the rubber hose from the air duct to the left of the mani. This was enough to loosen it up and get my hands back there. Not ideal conditions since you can't see much.. but fixed it within 20 mins or so with some help from a friend! Had a tiny bit of coolant come out but not much since the engine was cold. Gasket?? You mean the o-ring? I replaced it all and it seems like it's helped with my rough idle.. gonna rescan it in the next couple of days to see if I'm still throwing any codes.
I actually replaced mine in the middle of doing my O2 sensors.

Quick Reply: ECT Sensor help!