A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2004 A4 avant 1.9TDI sport - major key problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 A4 avant 1.9TDI sport - major key problems

Hello. I'm going to pretty much write a short book for you people here as I am in desperate need of help.

So I have just acquired an a4 from one of my employees who needed it moving asap. It had 2 flat tyres, a completely dead battery and no key. I called a locksmith out to have a new key cut and programmed, who said he has done many of these no problem. Key cut fine. He said he coded it to the car trying 2 different ways, but to no avail. The engine turns off after maybe 1 second. He had to have his van hooked up to the battery, and said that this wasn't really helping the problems. He came back to the car the next day but couldn't figure it out still. The following day after that, I met with the locksmith to borrow the cut key so I could have it towed from the car park it was in to my house, which is where it now is.

Now, being my first Audi, I am only going on what I have read over the past few days since getting it. It's a b6 model, 54 plate. I will upload pictures below if possible, and maybe you guys could confirm this.

i just purchased a brand new battery today, and when I went to fit it, I noticed about 6cm of water sitting in the battery tray beneath the windshield. After some short googling, I learned of the common problem and how to fix it. I peeled back a rubber grommet mount from where the old battery sat, and the water then spilled out onto the bash plate beneath the engine.. good? I read up that somehow this can cause problems with the ecu. Anyway, I fitted the newly purchased battery, as straight away all day indicators are going off, with a small bleeping coming from inside the car (I think), is this all normal so far?

the key the locksmith is using looks a lot newer than the age of the car, and I believe it to be from the b7 models (chrome ring at the bottom, with square buttons) and after googling I think I may be right. Could this also be part of the problem?

so in brief,

- could the water have damaged the ecu/another component that will stop the car from starting, and how do I check?
Is this locksmith wrong for using a newer key fob?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2017, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is the key the locksmith has cut and coded.