A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Car just stalled today. No warning. No CEL. Nothing. Just died on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE 2: Extended warranty will cover fuel pump; Dealer recommends to replace fuel filter as well.

It will cost around USD130+ (USD50 for fuel filter, yes that's right, they made sure to jack up the price so I bent over as well).

Warranty will not cover it despite being a possibility as to why the fuel pump failed. At this point I don't want to transfer shops just to have a new fuel filter installed so I gave them the go ahead to charge me for it.

Because I had the rental for 2 days, warranty will cover 1 day while dealer will shoulder another day.

The catch is that they may not be able to do the work today (DAY 2, ladies and gentlemen, for a fuel pump). I didn't want to give an attitude or be important like I'm the only customer. So I shall graciously await whenever my car will be done.

So car rental is going back today unless I want to pay out of pocket for DAY 3 of waiting for the car to be fixed.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Paging GDawgA4: update inside

I finally got a copy of the invoice for the previous fix. They did replace the Belt Damper and V Belt with the same P/N that you previously mentioned in your thread ("It was like Christmas").

That's a good thing to know. However, since car is still squeaking remember I said I would bring it back today which I did. They decided to keep the car for testing since they could not replicate the noise. This isn't surprising as the case usually is once you reach the dealer.

I also told them about the headlight message error, which they said they could not find a code. I then told them that my car was in for service at another dealer last week due to a failed fuel pump and that they most likely cleared all codes at that time. So I'm at a thin line on this issue.

Anyway, despite being out of warranty Advisor gave me a loaner - Jeep Commander. This time I had a choice between a compact car, Jeep Grand Cherokee or Jeep Commander. This was at the car rental place within the car dealer compound. I said I did not know I was entitled to an SUV, but the cute lady said she would upgrade me for free. I didn't have the guts to utter if she comes with the car, too, without being slapped on the face or downgraded my vehicle. Tsk, tsk. So this Jeep Commander is nice. With a 14.5mpg consumption, it's kinda within the league of my A4 1.8T. Surprisingly not as bouncy as the other SUVs I've driven and the car rental I just had last week (Chevy HHR). I hope they let me use this for another day. I'd love to go to Vegas with it.

That is all.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
Default At least they replaced the damper along with it but strange that it still squeeks...

I'm surprised they didn't listen for the squeaking noise. I'm wondering if they actually found the noise or just replaced what they thought might be causing the noise. I know the shop foreman took one thing apart at a time to see if the noise was gone and they found the damper to be causing it. They would know I'd bring it right back if the noise was still there if I got the car back with it.

The headlight error may not store codes...I remember when they tried to scan for codes but nothing would show up. When the headlight error came up for me, it would only stay for a few seconds then go away. It had come on a few times but never a code stored. My dealer just referred to the TSB and ordered a replacement rear view. They know about the TSB, right?

Nice loaner! At least its better than the HHR =P Despite the gas mileage =D
Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, it's strange they changed the parts without really checking it was the source of noise.

But a new free part is always welcome in my car. Now hopefully they replace the real part making the noise.

As for the rearview mirror, advisor mentioned about the TSB when I brought it in. But they came back on the invoice saying "light sensor is working at factory specs". I'll search for the TSB.

Tnx again for thoughts.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True, at least they replaced them so no need to do those for a while. The light

sensor won't throw codes so they're chasing a ghost, so to speak. Either they're going to have to see it for themselves or just order the mirror and replace it. They get reimbursed from AoA, don't see why they wouldn't take care of it. Maybe try speaking to the service manager about it.

Anytime!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They changed the A/C Compressor saying it was the source of the noise.

They ordered the part yesterday and today I received a call saying it's ready for pick up. So that's a good thing.

Sadly they won't do anything with the headlight range sensor error. They said they can't find anything wrong with it and can't replace it. So that's that. Hopefully it doesn't come back or my extended warranty covers it someday.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm, A/C compressor eh? Did you turn on the A/C and notice the whine or is it during when

its off? But regardless, if they say thats it, hopefully it is, the A/C compressor is pretty expensive to replace I think out of warranty.

That sucks for the rear view. At least its documented and you can bring it back for argument and its part of the TSB anyways so they should replace it per that if it ever does come up again.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So the noise is still here. No change in sound whatsoever. On the flipside, I have a new A/C.

I get the car and drive off the lot. Wow, looks like they finally found the source. An hour later I notice the same squeak.

History of fix:

1. I told them it occurs when the engine is warm. To check as it's most likely coming from the tensioner.

Verdict: Replace V-Belt and Belt Damper.

Noise still present.

2. I suggested that since they could not hear the noise that it can be "aggravated" by also turning on A/C.

Verdict: Replace A/C compressor, washer and recharge system.

Noise still present.

THOUGHTS:

1. I'm not complaining with them replacing parts for the car. But if it doesn't fix the noise, it doesn't make sense.

2. If it's easy to replace those parts just like that without actually verifying that it's THE source of the noise, then why am I being denied to replace the rear view mirror as well (which way cheaper than the parts they've been replacing so far and the labor cost to replace them).

3. If I told them the source of the noise was coming from the engine, maybe I could get a new engine? </scratches head>

So seriously I don't want to go back to the dealer anymore to complain about the noise. They've done so much parts replacement that it's crazy stupid and at the same time lovely that I'm ashamed to tell them to still go find the source.

I'm just going to an independent mechanic the next time I change my oil and have him try to crack at tracing the source. Hopefully my extended warranty will cover whatever it is that's causing it.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default :( Strange that it is still there. I would have thought the v-belt and damper would have taken care

of it. Maybe it was put on in such a way that the squeaking would still occur? If you take it to an independent, hopefully they can find the cause.

Good point on the replacing of expensive parts and not replacing a simple rear view mirror to fix the headlight issue. They're chasing after an engine noise but not something that is actually in a TSB from Audi. Go figure haha.

Good luck with it though, I'm sure its nothing major, more annoying than anything.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

After 2.5 years a dealer is finally fixing the problem via my extended warranty. I went to another dealer and they know about the problem which as you mentioned was already in a TSB. They're installing a new rearview mirror tomorrow. What a long time to finally get a fix. If only all Audi dealers were as caring as this one.