A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Brake Poll: Would You Buy - (almost assume they are a gift)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 rep. might be ok (dep. on offset). iirc, spokes on USP wheels don't clear BBK calipers...

ask around...spacers might work
Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 AM

Default Do the Alcons Use a Dust Shield??

I spoke to a guy at Achtuning and he said he didn;t think they used one. I was Pushed away from the Wilwood b/c it lacks a dust shield and I drive in snow and all other conditions - So if no Dust shield on Alcons I would stray from that kit
Old 08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What do you mean by a dust shield? ...

There is a dust shield that is secured to the hub assembly but I removed mine a while back. It worked with my previous BIRA/Porsche BBK and I don't think the Alcons would have a problem with it.

Best you call STaSIS, they have a 800 number and talk to Jason. He will steer you in the right direction.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 AM

STASIS/ALCON FOR SURE!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

2nd
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Outperform in terms of hardware components and adding any brake bias to the braking system

I looked at all the possiblities when I wanted to get a BBK and afterwards found out I can't clear any of the calipers.

Anyway... the Porsche caliper used is an older multipiece caliper vs the monobloc units Alcon and Brembo uses.

And the ECS rotors are not of comparable quality when compared to the Stasis, Brembe or Stoptech equivalents.

When I was in SoCal I had a good oppourtunity to see all of the brake options out there and I saw spider cracks on the drilled holes of 6 or 7 ECS aftermarket rotors at the SoCal Euro event.

I'm not saying the ECS option doesn't work as I sure it does stop the car once installed. But if compared to the setups from Alcon/Stasis, Brembo and Stoptech to the ECS package the technology you get for the same amount of money you pay isn't the same.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

why?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Alcon
Old 08-02-2006, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the Stoptechs and like them alot, but if someone was to give a set of brakes

to me i would have asked for the Alcons, just so i could maximize the $$ spent on my gift. but for the few track days i do and the occasional auto-x the Stoptechs are more than enough brake.

When I was buying brakes this past spring i looked at both kits and settled on the stoptechs because of 2 main things:
1. avaliability of brake pads, there are tons of choices from street to track.
2. price (replacement rotor rings are cheaper w/ stoptech, kit was less money, and pads were cheaper for the same compound)

Both kits fit under both of my sets of 17" wheels. Both kits weighed about the same. Both kits required removal of 2 bolts to replace pads (my porsche kit was just 1 pin to replace pads, super easy). both rotors were floating and did not require modification or removal of the dust shield.

I just could not justify the extra expense for the Alcon kit. For my purposes the Stoptech is an excellent choice and we will be putting Stoptechs on my wifes car in the next month or so. I just need to buy her new winter wheels that will clear the brakes before we get new brakes for her. (and yes she does auto-x and she does have track expereince.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool wife.

Quick Reply: Brake Poll: Would You Buy - (almost assume they are a gift)