A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Bedding in new pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bedding in new pads and rotors

I know the topic has been discussed many times but I think there may be something wrong with my brakes. Long but please advise!

I got new pads and rotors installed yesterday. Everything felt ok so I drove normally, and decided to give them a visual check when I got home. The FRONT pads seem to be a little...off. I can visually see that only 1/3 of the pad is making contact with the rotor. Additionally, there is a color difference in the rotor where I believe the pad is making contact (about 1/2 in.) If I didn't look, I wouldn't have known. Braking is very smooth. Sorry for the crappy night shots but see pics here: http://imgur.com/a/5fulG

I didn't worry too much, figured they had to break in a bit. This morning I followed this bed in procedure: http://www.audiction.com/audi-tuning/brake-bedding/ I got out of the car to check the rotor color and the pads were smoking. Literally smoking. Still wasn't worried. I drove home normally, using the brakes as little as possible so they could cool, and I never came to a complete stop. Took these shots when I got home: http://imgur.com/a/nL5m6 (first pic is rear, second is front)

As you can see, the color "line" in the front rotor is now about half of what it was last night (now down to 1/4 in.) After cooling for 1/2 hr, they looked the same.

Have drivin about 25 miles on them total. I want to be sure they were installed properly. Am I being paranoid?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Done 2 brake jobs on the A4 myself as well as 5 or 6 on other cars and nothing like that has happened. Just as a note, I have also done nothing like the bedding procedure in the link (sounds abusive on the rotors!), only 2 or 3 different brake pressure applications around my neighborhood to get the caliper puck squarely against the pads. I would submit that the comment about getting material on the rotors will happen over normal brake usage.

Anyway, curious who did the work. Dealer? Reputable Indie? Midas? Joe Shady Back Yard Brake Shop? Anyway, need to take back. Something was done wrong in the installation or the caliper is sticking, more likely due to damage (seal rolled?) when pushed in for the new pads.

Edit: Okay, looked at the pictures after I wrote the dissertation above and it looks to me like the edge of the pad is riding on the lip near the center of the rotor which won't allow the pad to ride level. Little hard to tell from the picture. That would tell me that the pads wen't installed properly (not pushed far enough in) or are the wrong pads (too big). Again, take back.

Last edited by lyleswk; 12-05-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Done 2 brake jobs on the A4 myself as well as 5 or 6 on other cars and nothing like that has happened. Just as a note, I have also done nothing like the bedding procedure in the link (sounds abusive on the rotors!), only 2 or 3 different brake pressure applications around my neighborhood to get the caliper puck squarely against the pads. I would submit that the comment about getting material on the rotors will happen over normal brake usage.

Anyway, curious who did the work. Dealer? Reputable Indie? Midas? Joe Shady Back Yard Brake Shop? Anyway, need to take back. Something was done wrong in the installation or the caliper is sticking, more likely due to damage (seal rolled?) when pushed in for the new pads.
Thanks for the quick reply. Both front rotors look like identical so it's unlikely that both calipers are sticking. The work was done by a very reputable indie shop. I trust them more than I trust the dealer. I'll give them a call today and explain the situation.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You saw my edit?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
You saw my edit?
Just did. That's what I thought. I'm going to keep an eye on it but would you happen to know if pads come with an angled cut? If so, that would explain it.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Some do, but I don't remember if the A4 one's do without looking at mine...which is 2000 miles away right now.