A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Battery Replacement...now no electrical functions...HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Replacement...now no electrical functions...HELP!!!!

I had my battery replaced at a place called Batteries Plus. Reputable chain, well above average store clerks. I didn't have a hex wrench long enough to reach the battery bolt so I let them install it for $10. I got in the car and started driving home.*

During the drive it got dark, so I flipped on my headlights ok but my dash and all my red lights throughout the car remained dark. What's more is my HVAC controls were 1) flickering and 2) the fan was randomly turning on and off. So I tried every other electrical switch I could think of:

What Works
  • Headlights (Aftermarket HIDs)
  • Seats
  • Radio

What Doesn't Work
  • HVAC
  • Turn Signals
  • Brights
  • Fog Lights
  • Wipers/Washer Jets
  • Windows
  • Door Locks
  • Side Mirrors
  • Dash Lights/All Other Interior Red Lights

Got home and turned the car off and the door chime is acting up and the HVAC lights are still flickering. Disconnected and reconnected battery with no change.

Can anybody explain this?? Maybe a plug that came loose during installation??
Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

have the alternator checked out. it sounds like electrical interference. there is a module called Electrical Load Detector(ELD circuit) that is supposed to maintain constant current/voltage. if this goes bad usually the battery will follow and lights will flicker or get brighter and dimmer depending on engine load.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tofast2belast
have the alternator checked out. it sounds like electrical interference. there is a module called Electrical Load Detector(ELD circuit) that is supposed to maintain constant current/voltage. if this goes bad usually the battery will follow and lights will flicker or get brighter and dimmer depending on engine load.
Thanks, good to know. I replaced fuse 37 (Intelligence Module) and now my door locks and interior lights work, but everything else is still not working. All other fuses seem ok. I scanned with vag com and I am getting many electrical fault codes.

It seems like a very strange coincidence that all this would happen immediately after I had my battery replaced. Any chance this is related? Could something have happened during install?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I doubt it was the battery swap. I have replaced one battery and disconnected 2 or 3 times and nothing like this happens.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jlew39
Thanks, good to know. I replaced fuse 37 (Intelligence Module) and now my door locks and interior lights work, but everything else is still not working. All other fuses seem ok. I scanned with vag com and I am getting many electrical fault codes.

It seems like a very strange coincidence that all this would happen immediately after I had my battery replaced. Any chance this is related? Could something have happened during install?
maybe if they put the battery in incorrectly, if they did this it would cause the alternator to fail. did you try talking to the shop that did the install?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My assumption was that they installed correctly, but yes, if they connected the poles opposite, that would mess a lot of stuff up.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have spoken to the battery shop. I seriously doubt they connected the leads backwards, even if just for an instant. These guys are above average workers, they are very knowledgeable when it comes to batteries. Not your typical pep boys workers. But then again, I did not watch them install it.

I took it to a trusted Indy shop today. Based in the symptoms I described to them they're thinking my alternator is on it's way out. Especially after this afternoon when everything suddenly started working like normal, and then later in the evening was not functioning again. Very weird. Will update after I get a diagnoses.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jlew39
I have spoken to the battery shop. I seriously doubt they connected the leads backwards, even if just for an instant. These guys are above average workers, they are very knowledgeable when it comes to batteries. Not your typical pep boys workers. But then again, I did not watch them install it.

I took it to a trusted Indy shop today. Based in the symptoms I described to them they're thinking my alternator is on it's way out. Especially after this afternoon when everything suddenly started working like normal, and then later in the evening was not functioning again. Very weird. Will update after I get a diagnoses.
yeah like i said earlier in the post. it doesnt take much if the leads were installed opposite. the ELD circuit is sensitive to reverse polarity. either way, you can have the alternator bench tested. or if you have a multimeter/volt meter, you can check the voltage while the car is on and also while the car is running. the voltage should read just after start-up around 14.5 and while idling after a quick drive should read about 13.2-14.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: Alternator is fine. All fuses are fine. However, the Indy shop I took it to said they suspect the Instrument Cluster suffered a high voltage spike with the battery was reconnected (improperly) and is consequently fried and needs to be sent for testing to see if there is a short somewhere. In which case the battery shop will be fully liable. Sigh...
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

At least they are saying they will own it. Will see whether they follow through.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement...now no electrical functions...HELP!!!!