A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi techs flunk mechanic's school

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Audi techs flunk mechanic's school

While I think Audis are great cars, their mechanics rate an "F" in my book.

In between warranty oil and filter changes, I change my oil and filter on my own. Today when I went to drain my oil, the crankcase drain plug was on so tight I could barely turn it. Only after switching to a ratchet wrench with a much longer handle was I able to finally turn the drain plug.

Things got worse with the oil filter. All my attempts to remove the oil filter just resulted with the filter getting twisted out of shape and crushed. I had to purchase a special wrench -- shaped like a giant pair of pliers -- to remove the damn filter. And it took both hands and all the strength I could muster up to do the job.

I would like to point out that the drain plug and filter were both tightened by an Audi tech during my last warranty service in November.

What the hell is wrong with these morons? Didn't anybody ever tell them that the oil filter should be hand-tightened only? And if the drain plug was on any tighter, the threads would've have been stripped.

In addition, every time the dealership changes my oil, they overfill the crankcase by about a quart. Every time! When I complain, they tell me to bring my car back and they drain out the extra oil. Wouldn't it be easier to do it right the first time?

I know not every Audi tech is a nitwit, but the ones who are sure give Audi a bad name.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vw overtightened my oil drain plug to the point where it had to be cut into to get it off

had to replace it after that...

the reason it's so tight, it bc they probably just used an air tool on it to save time... bc they lazy
Old 05-15-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Besides filling it up a quart too much, everything they did sounds normal to me...

The oil drain plug should be snug and require a wratchet to loosen or a normal sized opened end wrench. On my wife's VW GLI, since the service is not included, on the 1st oil change I did it myself. The oil drain plug was very tight and this is from the factory. The oil filter should be tightened by hand but rarely if ever can you loosen it by hand, a tool is usually required. Not sure that puts this particular Audi Tech in the "moron" category. Although I agree with you that some of them make bigtime mistakes and the quart too much is BS on their part.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:49 PM

Default i agree, mine have always been snug. id rather have it more difficult to remove than fall off

or not be secure to point where it leaks.

also i was referring to drain plug not filter
Old 05-15-2005, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My oil filters usually come off by hand when I'm the one changing oil

I used to change my own oil...did it for years.

The oil drain plug, just think about it logically and what it does. It holds oil in. It's not being jarred nor is it supporting any weight or joining two pieces of metal together. Just put it on tight enough. Honestly, no tigher than a spark plug should be all you need.

Oil filters, yes they do get more snug. But I've never had a situation where I could not remove the oil filter by hand, if I was the one who changed the oil. Get it tight enough, and do 1/2 to 3/4 of an extra turn and you're done.

It does sound like the tech is a moron in this case. An oil change is the easiest thing in the world to do, yet is the easiest thing in the world to screw up.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i don't know about your car, but my oil is pressurized

your oil filter should not come off by hand, that is the reason they have oil filter wrenches

also, the drain plug should be tight, it is a pressurized container... which is why when you take out the plug, the oil shoots out far... if it wasnt pressurized, it would just pour out like it does from the bottle

a tight oil filter and drain plug are necessary, but the plug should be removable with a decent open ended wrench
Old 05-15-2005, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I neglected to mention that I have yet to change the oil on my A4

52K miles and I have yet to change it. I've never heard of the oil being pressurized though.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Sorry, but the filter should not be destroyed while trying to remove it ...

I did use an oil filter wrench to try to remove my filter, but the filter was on so tight that the gasket would not break free and the filter was getting crushed. It's not supposed to be that way.

Also, the oil drain plug could not be loosened by a "normal sized" open-end wrench. I had to use a long ratchet wrench with an extension over the handle to remove the plug.

I have changed my own oil and filter since I was 15 and I know you're not supposed to overtighten them. In fact, here are the instructions printed on the side of the VW/Audi oil filter:

"1. Apply a thin film of oil to gasket.
2. Screw on filter until gasket bottoms.
3. Tighten further by hand (20 Nm/14 ft lb).
4. Fill up with oil to normal level.
5. Start engine. Check for leaks. Retighten if necessary."

I agree that the drain plug and filter should be "snug" as you put it, but not ridiculously overtightened.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:58 PM

Default LOL, I've destroyed a few removing them....

Not taking shots at you, just saying that what you experienced sounds quite normal. I did the very first change on my A4 because of the mods I had and I destroyed the oil fiter getting it out, pissed me off too. I'm sure the audi tech is aware of those simple instructions and tightened the oil fiter by hand. Sometimes those things are a bitch to get out.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:22 PM

Default 2nd. <----from a moron tech.

Every 5K service I do the drain plugs are tight as hell and so are the oil filters. I've had to trash a few taking them off.

Quick Reply: Audi techs flunk mechanic's school