A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Losing coolant/no leak found from pressure test/overheat once in a while

Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Losing coolant/no leak found from pressure test/overheat once in a while

I am losing coolant in my 2003 A4 1.8T and once every couple weeks the temperature gauge overheats. I pull over turn the car off and add coolant and turn it back on and its fine. I took the car to the mechanic and the car was put under a pressure test. Mechanic said there were no leaks and the car was not overheating.

Coolant is clean which puts a head gasket leak in doubt. I drive the car and there are no leaks where I park the car. I believe I see white smoke coming from under the hood once in a while but it is really faint that I am not even sure I am seeing it. I am losing a lot of coolant I drive the car a couple miles and my coolant level is down by a couple inches.

This has got me totally stumped has this happened to anyone before?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LoPoVe; 09-29-2013 at 07:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Oibuildaphill (11-09-2022)
Old 10-02-2013, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If you think it isn't the head, then you are simply going to have to look for pink residue somewhere in the engine bay. Suspect areas: J plug just behind the thermostat under the intake runners, aft coolant flange, and pin holes in the radiator. I would follow the entire route including the hoses out of the coolant flange at the back of the engine and look in between the radiator and condensor. It's somewhere.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the hints. Coolant drops an inch a day to a certain level but then doesn't seem to drop at that rate after a week of driving.

If it was a head gasket leak what are the symptoms?
Dirty coolant?
White smoke from exhaust?
Piston Misfire?

Are these correct?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you still have the belly pan on it? Remove it and leave it off until you have it repaired.

If you still hopefully have the pink VW/Audi coolant, it makes a very distinct crust and trail from leaks.

Water pumps are really good at wearing just right to where the coolant will not leak engine stopped, and will not leak under a pressure test. But under load, running with higher rpm it will leak coolant.

Is it an Auto....is it acting up at all....there is a cooler in the radiator that ATF passes through. The ATF is under no pressure when flowing through the cooler, so higher pressure coolant could force its way through a small defect and never have ATF in the coolant.

The Heater core lines run in the large cavity that holds the battery, brake master, cabin filter. If the drains for that are clogged with leaves, and the lines leakin, or the plastic core split at the tube, and is filling up the large cavity, you wouldn't know for awhile....

Last edited by Prospeeder; 10-02-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not familiar with your engine / model but, did you check the oil condition (dipstick)? If your coolant is leaking through head gasket, I think most times your oil would be contaminated by it. Also, like Prospeeder mentioned, take lower engine cover off and leave it off for a while to check for any leaks. That much coolant can't be just missing without a trace. You have to dig deeper. Do you smell coolant burning smell? If you don't know how it smells, drop couple drops on exhaust and it will be a distinct smell. Just my $0.02 on this without being able to examine the car...
Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Who has an audi that isn't manual??????????????

I have the green antifreeze inside.

I did take off the belly pan so I can look at the ground and no leaks! I can't figure it out!

That's an interesting comment about the water pump at the end of July it looked like the water pump was leaking even though I changed the timing belt about 30,000 miles ago. Then it appeared to stop leaking.

Your comments about the heater core are interesting as well. I haven't been in there in a while.......

Thanks for the advice..

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Do you still have the belly pan on it? Remove it and leave it off until you have it repaired.

If you still hopefully have the pink VW/Audi coolant, it makes a very distinct crust and trail from leaks.

Water pumps are really good at wearing just right to where the coolant will not leak engine stopped, and will not leak under a pressure test. But under load, running with higher rpm it will leak coolant.

Is it an Auto....is it acting up at all....there is a cooler in the radiator that ATF passes through. The ATF is under no pressure when flowing through the cooler, so higher pressure coolant could force its way through a small defect and never have ATF in the coolant.

The Heater core lines run in the large cavity that holds the battery, brake master, cabin filter. If the drains for that are clogged with leaves, and the lines leakin, or the plastic core split at the tube, and is filling up the large cavity, you wouldn't know for awhile....
Old 10-03-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oil and coolant are clean. a4 1.8T. Manual.

Lower cover is off for the past month. Had to use up a gallon of coolant in two weeks. I fill up a lot in the beginning but then I don't have to fill up for a while. Seems to leak less as the coolant level gets lower. I want to say once in a while I see white smoke on my hood I am guessing this is coolant. It's so faint I am not even sure I am seeing it or if I am mistaking it for condensation evaporating.

Originally Posted by tester123
Not familiar with your engine / model but, did you check the oil condition (dipstick)? If your coolant is leaking through head gasket, I think most times your oil would be contaminated by it. Also, like Prospeeder mentioned, take lower engine cover off and leave it off for a while to check for any leaks. That much coolant can't be just missing without a trace. You have to dig deeper. Do you smell coolant burning smell? If you don't know how it smells, drop couple drops on exhaust and it will be a distinct smell. Just my $0.02 on this without being able to examine the car...
Old 11-23-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Found the leak!

I found the leak (leaks actually). The leak is in the hoses that attach to the oil cooler on both sides of the engine, wayyyy up in there its a bit hard to get to. The mechanic wants $800 or so to fix it and I think that is crazy.

Anyone ever had this and fixed it themselves? It looks like I cant get at this from the top because the manifold is in the way. I dont have a lift so I believe I will need a mechanic to do this???
Attached Images   
Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone help with this? ???????????????
Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone get this leak on both sides of the motor?

I can't figure this out!

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Attached Images     

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Losing coolant/no leak found from pressure test/overheat once in a while