A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

APR stage 1+ by itself, NO DMIC or exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. The fact that stage 1+ or revo 2 spools that small turbo up to over 20 pounds boost is what my concern for reliability, especially on a car with close to 70,000 miles. That is working that K03 pretty hard. I'd like to keep this car for more than a couple of years. That still doesn't mean I won't go for more power some time in the future. And I am planning for what I will do if I go that route.

I am working now on how to use the stock IC more efficiently. I got the S4 vented wheel arch, and ordered a small but powerful puller fan that will fit on the back of the IC. Some of the guys at the MR2 turbo forum have had good success with this type of set up, with or without a mister sprayer. I am going to run it with a thermal switch that will be attached to the IC fins or tank so it will come on at stop lights or on long grades at freeway speeds. If anyone has a good idea of what IC core temperature you'd want the fan to kick on, I'd appreciate the input, as I can get them in a variety of kick on temps.

I also have found a few high flow cats that interest me, and I think might be a more green way to get more out of a 1+ or stage 2 car than a test pipe. the guys at 034 motorsports said they tested their high flow cat against their test pipe, and the results were very close.

So an IC fan/S4 vents (which I am going to do already) plus TT injectors + a $295 high flow cat might be in the cards withing a year or so if I am not satisfied with stage 1 and want the Revo upgrade..
Old 04-18-2009, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

The 20 psi spike is no big deal. The K03 can hold 15 psi without any issues. I wouldn't worry about the longevity as they seem to hold up just fine. Many people have tried to kill the K03 with little success. The stock intercooler is simply too small. I would just leave it alone or upgrade to a larger core. The fan is a waste of time. The airflow across the core is not a problem. The high-flow cat is a good idea. That is what I am going to do come summer. The biggest 'problem' is the work required to remove the oem cat. My car has 63k miles. There are plenty of guys with over 100k on the K03 at Stage 1+ with no problems.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did some more research on the high flow cats, and it seems that except for the really expensive Miltec or MTM DP/ relocated cat kit, a lot of people have had trouble with CEL coming on. That would really suck to spend the time and money to do that job and have to deal with random CEL in your face. I'l like to get more feedback on that. The places that sell the $300 ones say it they won't trigger CEL, but Audizine has a lot of feedback to the contrary.

You guys still have me tempted to grab a set of the TT injectors and order the Apikol IC and try to install it myself before i go in to get the on sale Revo flash.

Is there a PDF of front bumper removal, or a link to a DIY that shows where all the fasteners and other things that need to be disconnected are?

What about engine compartment heat with the high boost levels from stage 2? It already gets pretty hot under the hood of the 1.8T cars stock.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well you can try just Stage 1 alone and see if the power gains are enough for your needs. If not, you throw in a set of injectors (30 minutes) and re-flash the car, (15 minutes) and you are good to go. You don't need to do the IC and downpipe right away.

Most of the IC's come with instructions. None of them are difficult to install, but they are time consuming as you have to un-bolt the front clip.

The downpipe can be a pita to remove and you may have to resort to cutting the bolts. I would save that project for when you have some time on your hands and also make sure you have a new set of gaskets and hardware for the new one. You also want to make sure you have the proper socket for the O2 sensor and some cutting tools if necessary.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was Revo stage 1 flashed 2 years ago: boost 6, timming 4, and fuel 9.
I also instal an HyperBoost Divertrer Valve.
All is OK, the car run very well and I like it very much, smooth and quicker.

Then I bought from the Revo Select Plus switch.

Now because I am on octane 94, I set it at boost 7, timming 5 and fuel always at 9 because with my car I have no acces to modify the fuel mixture.
With this setting the car still going well and pushing quite a lot.

I have some questions

Without damaging, in safety for my car, can I pushed the timming and the boost futher?

Then I want to install 4 OEM TT225 Injectors with the Revo Stage1+ software. How much HP and torque will I gain?

I know that the software gonna cost me 50$.

But for the price of these Injectors, is that the best things to gain more HP and torque?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Revo told me stage 2 with an exhaust and intercooler can give 10 to 20 more HP over stage 1. Without the exhaust test pipe or free flow cat and intercooler, its about 10 HP because you will not be able to take full advantage of the program. Be aware stage 2 works the small K03 pretty hard and outside the recommended boost range stipulated by the manufacturer of the turbo (18 pound max sustained boost for a K03) A lot of posters here have run it like that, and claim no major issues. But i think they have to be more careful with cool down, warm up, etc, or that K03 will not last as long.

My local tuner recommends the full K04 set up if you still want more power after stage 1, and want to keep the car as drivable and reliable as an oem set up. You can get 40 or more HP and Torque out of a K04 set up over stage 1 depending on how you tune it and what octane gas you have available.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I*know that, with Revo stage 2 but without intercooler and free flow cat, I will not as you said take full advantage, but it's still a step towards.
With the Revo select Plus switch I can fix the boost at the level I want from 1 for stock boost, to 6 for performance boost, and to 9 for aggressive boost,
So if I instal 4 TT225 386cc Injector with the stage 2 Revo software and keep the boost level at 7 to preserve my K03, the timming at 6 because I'am using 94 octane gas, I should obtain something around 220 HP.
Am I right?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

That seems about right, but you will be more prone to heat soak too, so you'll only be able to use that power sparingly, especially during hot weather. You are lucky you can still get high octane fuel. that's a real drag here in California. I give up at least 10 horsepower just from the crappy gas.

If I had the set up like you do, I'd get the AWE intercooler when finances allowed. Seems like then you could really take better advantage of your set up, and not have to worry about high intake air temperatures robbing power.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You know up here in Canada temperature is not so hot, the average temp in summer is around 70F and in winter you just can't imagine. This morning it's 50F and at this temperature there is plenty of cool air.
I will prefer an aftermaket exhaust but I will look for the price of an AWE intercooler.
I went yesterday to my Revo guy here in Montreal, and I said that with TT225 Injectors and Stage 2 software I will gain 15HP and 15 lbs of torque. So I order to Euro Technick in Florida.
It's take 4 days by UPS. So I will install the injectors at the end of the week.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Francois,

You will be okay. I am running Revo Stage 2 w/ injectors - no intercooler and no downpipe. It is a very powerful program. I think you will like it. I spike to 22 psi +/- and can hold about 15 psi. It is about the maximum for the K03. I just make sure that I don't drive the car too hard and then shut down w/ no cool down period. I have no problems at all and I drive my car everyday to work. I also run NGK BKR7E copper spark plugs gapped to .029". They seem to work pretty good. I am going to go with BKR6E plugs next time as they run a bit smoother although you sacrifice a few Hp at the top end. You have to replace the copper spark plugs more frequently, but they are only $2 per plug and you can set the gap exactly as you want.

I know the shop turned down tmy boost and timing and set the fuel for 93 octane. I don't have a controller so I never change them. You can see my boost curves earlier in this thread. Revo does a really good job with their programming and I think they are a bit better than their competition.

-Rob

Quick Reply: APR stage 1+ by itself, NO DMIC or exhaust