A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Anyone know why the antenna booster cracks and breaks? Been searching and it's common..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How did you access that?

Hi

I've just extracted my amplifier because of extrem weak fm reception. Mine is a 8e5 035 225 D version.
Black Plastic part is also cracked, but PCB looks fine.

Were you able to solve the problem ?

I also noticed that some of the small vertical lines printed on the rear windows (which are supposed to be the antennas) are cutted?
I'm planned to add some circuit + (from loctite) in order to restore connections.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

bump..

anyone know why the amplifier breaks as in the picture, I have mine broken exactly in the same place..

and is there any way to fix the broken?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I replaced the booster in my '03 A4 about 18 months ago and my radio reception has started to deteriorate once again so I guess I am due for another booster!

Does anyone know the most current revision of the booster?

8E5035225S?
8E5035225AF?
other?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just found the reason for my intermittent reception problems! My Aerial booster/ Diversity board has a similar crack on the rubberised plastic. I could get full reception by pressing board with my finger. The reception disappeared again when I released the pressure.

I removed board, retensioned spring contacts (that touch the pads on the rear screen), but no change. In a vain attempt to locate the loose contact I peeled the black rubber plastic back to reveal the components. OOPS!

The plastic coating eventually came apart from the PCB, but with some of the components ripped off the PCB!

Anyone know where I can obtain a reasonably priced replacement?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default pictures showing location of antenna booster a4 98

Hi;
you mention you have pictures of the location of the antenna booster. I have the same issue with bad signal on the radio and can not seem to be able to find where it is located in the rear near the glass. If you could send pictures, I would appreciate it immensely.

aorsin@hotmail.com
Regards
Old 04-25-2014, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default pictures showing location of antenna booster a4 98

Hi;
you mention you have pictures of the location of the antenna booster. I have the same issue with bad signal on the radio and can not seem to be able to find where it is located in the rear near the glass. If you could send pictures, I would appreciate it immensely.

Regards
Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Can't find any pictures, but it is un the small piece of trim at the top of the rear window.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fixed the issue

UPDATE: I bought an antenna converter to go from plug in back of radio to a "standard" plug, then I bought a "hidden window antenna" and ran the wire up by the dash and as a test, put the antenna wire at bottom of my windshield and the radio reception is very good. I went from zero am/fm to 10 FM stations (half of them very strong, other half so-so), and 4 AM stations. I am very happy with the results and only spent about $20 to get this issue fixed.

Wow. How appropriate. I bought an A4 with terrible reception and figured it was probably an easy fix...Nop...So the black plastic which is molded to the components of the pcb board was cracked and I heard that was the source of the issue. I too peeled back the black cover to see if the pcb was cracked and I noticed a couple of components embedded in the black plastic and lifted right off of the pcb board. Ouch...
So Sunday I took a coaxial to standard FM conveter, and removed my radio and hooked it up to the antenna connection at the radio. I also had a "hidden" antenna strip that I was using to test this theory of converting from Audi amplified antenna to a standard antenna. Well, the reception was worse than before. By worse I mean I could not tune in a single station whereas before I could get one AM, and two FM, although weakly.
So now I put it all back together again and I cannot get any stations because of the components that were ripped from the board when peeling back the black plastic.
If anyone knows of how to make the reception work without spending $250 - $300 please let me know. I want to keep the stock Symphony radio in there for looks (I am doing Stage 2 mods but keeping the look of the car as stock as I can.

Last edited by danrgleason; 05-08-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Fixed the issue