A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Any of you guys with ebony interiors regret the choice when it is hot out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any of you guys with ebony interiors regret the choice when it is hot out?

I am planning on ordering my new A41.8TQ5MT here before too long, but can't decide on interior. I know I want leather and I know that I will get the dolphin gray paint. I will be replacing the fiberglass trim with the 02 alum trim as well. I am leaning towards the ebony, but am concerned it will be too hot in the summer. I have only driven a 72 Super beetle with black vinyl interior, so I am thinking with the A/C and 5% tint it will be a substantial improvement. My wife thinks I am crazy for wanting the ebony, but I like contrast. Opinions? Thanks for a great forum. Of course, having this resource has probably only increased my obsession with these damn cars! Oh well ;]
Old 09-06-2002, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I haven't regretted the ebony leather interior in my 3.0 one bit. Then again, the full leather (m)

interior has more of a charcoal grey leather. It seemed like it was more of a solid black in the leatherette interior, and I'm not sure about the leather seating surfaces interior of the '03 1.8T.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have 03 dolphin with ebony (avant) and love it...

i am also looking into carbon panels to replace the plastic, similar to the euro spec s-line.

the ebony in the dolphin is very good looking, i live in SoCal, it has been not lately, but not all that bad at all.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:50 AM

Default I do, untill I see how friggin sexy it is with my dolphin grey exterior...

I live in WA so obviously if it has seemed hot on my **** if youlive anywhere where the sun shines more (everywhere) it will be a factor. This burning sensation usually goes away quickly, even quicker when I focus on how ridiculously attractive the interior is. I feel this interior is really the only option for this color also, the other ones just dont hold my attention. I would also get a form fitted sun reflector for your windshield. People can knock them all they want but your car is cooler by a good margin AND you interior will look much better over time. IMHO
Old 09-06-2002, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Any of you guys with ebony interiors regret the choice when it is hot out?

I bought the Audi Sunshade, and you know what..that thing really works. It is still hot but not as bad.
I live in Dallas, TX!!

Imagine our summers!
Old 09-06-2002, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default dolphin with ebony is a beautiful combination

I live in southern California and even though the interior does get hot I haven't regretted the choice yet. Its the perfect color combo. Besides, with the problems I have read that people have had with keeping the platinum interior clean I know I made the right choice.

A couple of tips to keep cool.

1) If you have a sunroof and are going to park outside keep the sunshade closed. It gets so much hotter inside when you leave it open.

2) Before you get into your car, use the key to open all of your windows. It lets all of that trapped hot air out.

3) Buy a sunshade for your windshield. Since I bought one it seems to be several degrees cooler inside.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll second that combo...it's not too bad here in Michigan, just tint your windows =P LOL
Old 09-06-2002, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree!! Mine was cool enough even before the 35% tint. Love it!!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have dolphin w/ eb interior as well, and ...

live in the South were the heat + humidity can be quite harsh. I've found this combination to be better than my white M3 with black leather interior, even when you consider that the dark dolphin grey color tends to absorb heat more than the white.

I think that vinyl doesn't hold heat like leather. Also the Audi's windows have a slightly darker degree of tint. Careful with dark colored leather interiors, they might be hot in the A4.

dolphin and eb are very nice together however!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was really worried about that before I got it. But, it has not been a problem at all...

Much happier with the Leatherette than I thought I would be.

Quick Reply: Any of you guys with ebony interiors regret the choice when it is hot out?