A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Problems on startup! Electrical!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems on startup! Electrical!

Just fired my 1.8T up this morning and all was well for about 15 seconds. However, I did notice that the e-brake symbol was flashing. I released it and it continued to flash. This worried me.

It was beeping constantly, not just the usual one or two on startup. After the 15 seconds the beeping stopped, but I lost all of my guages, HVAC, stereo, etc. Then after 5 seconds or so everything came back on. I called audi and he was saying possibly a bad alternator or electrical controller.

Anybody experienced these issues before? I left it where it was and took a different car. I shouldn't be experiencing these issues with such a supposedly well-engineered car.

My love factor for it dropped a bit today. I will probably try driving it in to the dealer but it's half an hour away and I don't want it dying.

Any advice or tips are appreciated.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After I got some time (and light) I checked the Master Cylinder. I didn't see any fluid inside.

I'm new to this car so this may be a stupid question, but you're supposed to be able to see the fluid level clearly right? You don't need to crawl around or stick a q-tip in to check the level?

I'm thinking I'll need to throw some brake fluid in and drive it to the dealer. Just don't know where the leak could be. It's been raining like hell and it's parked on a slope so any evidence has been washed away.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

You didn't inadvertantly hit the panic button on your remote, did you?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A little update...

Fired it up the next morning for ****s&giggles to see if it was still throwing the code. Nothing. Nada. Not even my headlight adjustment or service reminder.

Drove it for a bit and still nothing. Brakes worked perfectly. After a while the service reminder and headlight adjustment warning came back on, so it was back to normal, but still no brake light.

Added some brake fluid this morning (hard to see the master cylinder properly) after seeing it was below 'min'. Stopped by the dealer and found out it means the fluid is low. Go figure.

So, no leak or other problem to my knowledge, which is definitely good news.

In addition, I found that I can save myself $230 on my upcoming service by changing my own plugs. Insane price but at least it's something I can do.

All in all, very happy.

Just thought I'd post this for anyone else who experiences it.