A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2004 1.8T 6 speed: EPC & Triangle lights, no gas pedal.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 1.8T 6 speed: EPC & Triangle lights, no gas pedal.

Hi guys,

I did a long search of the archives, but it looks like I have an issue different from lots of other people on the forums:

My EPC and Traction Triangle warning lights came on when I was almost home from work the other day, and my gas pedal was sluggish. I pushed in the clutch and coasted home. Shutting the car down and starting it back up turned the warnings off, and all was well.

The next morning, I made it about 5 miles until the lights came on again. ZERO gas pedal response this time. While rolling, I shut the car down and restarted, and the lights turned off. I turned around and did this "Start up and drive for a mile... get the warning lights and lose the throttle... shut down and start back up" for the 5-mile trip back home.

Reading up on everything I could find, I pulled and cleaned the throttle body tonight. The car drove great for a few miles when cold, but then gave me the Triangle and EPC warnings with zero throttle response. But here's where it gets weird.:

1) Every time I let the engine idle after throttle failure, the idle is lumpy and nasty. But once I shut the car down, it DOES start right back up immediately (and idles cleanly) EVERY time. This, combined with my first 5 miles of being able to drive normally when the engine is started cold seems to (likely) rule out the ECU being fried and/or a bad coil. Both of those 2 problems would be constant, regardless of an engine restart, right?

2) I can intentionally induce the warning lights by driving along at a constant speed (after a restart or when the engine is started from cold). All I have to do is step down kinda hard on the accelerator, and BINGO. The same 2 warnings illuminate and the gas pedal fails.

3) After one rolling restart at 45 MPH, I restarted then immediately held the throttle open in 3rd gear at 3000 RPM. No warnings until I backed OFF the throttle, and then BINGO... on popped both warning lights, and zero gas pedal. If the cats were clogged, there's no way the engine would run at 3,000 RPM, so...

Because it seems like my best bet at this point, I currently have a gas pedal assembly on its way to me via USPS. I have no actual "Check Engine" light illuminated, so I'm not reading/receiving any codes at the moment. I can't risk the trip to a garage for a few days, as the weather is going to be REALLY cold.

Any other ideas you guys might provide would be greatly appreciated. If/when I am able to fix this issue, I'll post the solution quickly and clearly.

Thx,
LG
Old 12-01-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you checked for codes with a VAGCOM reader? Not all codes set the CEL...
Old 12-06-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Lyle,

I haven't been able to get the vehicle to a garage yet, in order to pull codes with a Vag-Com. However:

I just noticed a large puddle of coolant under the car. I'm going to look and see where the leak is (I think it's where the reservoir hose connects to the water pump intake), and fix it. But I will first try to figure out what sensor might be getting soaking wet as a result of the coolant leak.

THAT would be a GREAT reason why the car runs fine until it gets warm, then has issues. If the coolant starts leaking when the thermostat opens... then gets a sensor wet causing the sensor to go wonky... you get the picture.

I'll follow up with more info as soon as it becomes available.

Thx,
LG
Old 12-07-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update:

OK, so I found and fixed the coolant leak. Nowhere near any sensors.

I took the car for a spin, and had the same result. Full throttle range with no issues when cold, but when the car got warm, EPC and triangle... no gas pedal.

Obviously, this is an issue that occurs when the car goes closed-loop. It was hunting for an idle, too.

New throttle body on order.