A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

winter oil choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter oil choice

Yeah, I'm very sure this topic has been beaten to death which makes you wonder why I'm starting another.
I'm looking to choose an oil for my 98 a4 2.8 going into winter. I usually change oil once per year on my vehicles. Since there are a few, none ever go over about 8k miles/year and I'm just not a change it every 3k miles kind of person.

In northeast ohio the temps during the winter can consistently stay in the low 20s and into the teens while summer can be in the high 80s and 90s.

With this consideration I'm between Penzoil Platinum 5w30, Castrol edge 0w40 or 5w40, and open to a third consideration.
An additional consideration is that the car has near 150k miles.

I like PP because I can find it at Walmart where the Castrols in a 40 weight can't seem to be found as inexpensively as the PP. It currently has a 5w30 in it. The reason I may be swayed away from 5w30 is that the book seems to recommend a 40 weight and I get about 1/4 second of valve chatter on startups - but only sometimes and only after its sat all night.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by waspie
Yeah, I'm very sure this topic has been beaten to death which makes you wonder why I'm starting another.
I'm looking to choose an oil for my 98 a4 2.8 going into winter. I usually change oil once per year on my vehicles. Since there are a few, none ever go over about 8k miles/year and I'm just not a change it every 3k miles kind of person.

In northeast ohio the temps during the winter can consistently stay in the low 20s and into the teens while summer can be in the high 80s and 90s.

With this consideration I'm between Penzoil Platinum 5w30, Castrol edge 0w40 or 5w40, and open to a third consideration.

I like PP because I can find it at Walmart where the Castrols in a 40 weight can't seem to be found as inexpensively as the PP. It currently has a 5w30 in it. The reason I may be swayed away from 5w30 is that the book seems to recommend a 40 weight and I get about 1/4 second of valve chatter on startups - but only sometimes and only after its sat all night.

Once per year, you got be kidding.
Just put sand and water inside, no different then what you already have.

I run Mobil 1 0w-40 all year long.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Since your car is 98 I recommend blending half 10w30 and 15w 40, just because it will be better for the car.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MTykhnenko
Since your car is 98 I recommend blending half 10w30 and 15w 40, just because it will be better for the car.
Well I wasn't expecting this answer. Are you serious or screwing with me like the last guy?

Along with searching for oil selections I came across several mentions of AutoRX. After probably a 2-3 hour detour reading on that I purchased a few bottles. I popped a valve cover off a couple days ago and while its not sludgy like the 1.8s I've seen it certainly could be cleaner.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:57 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

If you are doing an annual change, run 10-30 synthetic. If you use dino oil, change it spring and fall 10-30.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

due to the long time interval i only use synthetics. thanks for the recommendation.
i'll need to run dino when the ARx comes in so I'll put off the synthetic till at least spring.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well I wasn't expecting this answer. Are you serious or screwing with me like the last guy?

Along with searching for oil selections I came across several mentions of AutoRX. After probably a 2-3 hour detour reading on that I purchased a few bottles. I popped a valve cover off a couple days ago and while its not sludgy like the 1.8s I've seen it certainly could be cleaner.
Uhh I am serious. My car is a 96, and its a great car, but whenever you put in anything under 10w30 the oil "dissapears", I have a leak. If you warm up your car before driving you're only helping your engines life time. You warm up the oil slowly enough, so that your engine is still being lubricated while the leaks are minimized. Over age every little part wears off and becomes smaller, thus making bigger gaps everywhere. Again, thats why I mix, 10w30 simply because its not very viscous, and its cold here in Canada, and 15w40 because, I want to minimize the wear.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MTykhnenko
Uhh I am serious. My car is a 96, and its a great car, but whenever you put in anything under 10w30 the oil "dissapears", I have a leak. If you warm up your car before driving you're only helping your engines life time. You warm up the oil slowly enough, so that your engine is still being lubricated while the leaks are minimized. Over age every little part wears off and becomes smaller, thus making bigger gaps everywhere. Again, thats why I mix, 10w30 simply because its not very viscous, and its cold here in Canada, and 15w40 because, I want to minimize the wear.
no offense, just hadn't heard much of mixing viscosities before. after i read your first post i did some searching on BITOG and it seems fairly common - sorry bout that. Fortunately I don't appear to have any significant external oil leaks. In cold/cool (40s, low 50s f) i nearly always use the remote start as I am a big fan of a warm car. I'm also aware of warming up the car for the oil's sake as I've got a couple turbocharged cars as well - although this rule applies to any car not just FI. thanks for the tip, the few mentions of specifically mixing 10w30 and 15w40 i read seemed to say it produced some of the best oil analysis results yet seen.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

no offense, just hadn't heard much of mixing viscosities before. after i read your first post i did some searching on BITOG and it seems fairly common - sorry bout that. Fortunately I don't appear to have any significant external oil leaks. In cold/cool (40s, low 50s f) i nearly always use the remote start as I am a big fan of a warm car. I'm also aware of warming up the car for the oil's sake as I've got a couple turbocharged cars as well - although this rule applies to any car not just FI. thanks for the tip, the few mentions of specifically mixing 10w30 and 15w40 i read seemed to say it produced some of the best oil analysis results yet seen.
Thanks If you really do want your car to last as much as possible, use synthetic blends too. Synthetic has a much less viscous during colder temperatures. I never drive my car without at least heating it up for 10 minutes (Might note, its a 96 a4 body, but the drive train is from a 01 a6, 2.7BiT)
Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

I live in a comparitively warm climate, but even in cold weather never warm any car by letting it idle. If you have to do that to keep from freezing, that's ok, but don't do it thinking you'll make the engine last longer. Engines, and their oil, get to operating temperature fastest by doing work, so as soon as the oil pressure is up, I'm in gear. This was a recommendation of the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) that I've followed on every car I've owned. For Waspie's 2.8 I'd use the 5W-30 year-round and not worry about it. I also use (in the V-6) common Valvoline MaxLife, Castrol GTX, Mobil Clean 5000, etc. and have no issues with lifter noise or oil consumption.

Quick Reply: winter oil choice