A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Window problem, constant clicking noise from drivers door.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window problem, constant clicking noise from drivers door.

Started with the window operating intermittently, then not at all. Now there is a constant clicking noise coming from the drivers side door, sounds like a relay opening and closing.

Ive disconnected the switch for the drivers window and it still clicks. I've had to just remove the connector from the window motor/regulator because the battery will eventually drain.

I checked the voltage from each pin on the regulator connector to ground and it matches up with the passenger side which is working fine.

The window rolled up and down fine prior to this, no grinding or clunking, or going up crooked. Doesnt seem like the broken regulator clips most people have had to deal with.

Any ideas? i suppose i should check the contacts on the regulator and compare to the drivers side to see if something is shorted...
Old 12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Millatime
Started with the window operating intermittently, then not at all. Now there is a constant clicking noise coming from the drivers side door, sounds like a relay opening and closing.
connect a good known working switch to the drivers side wiring and see if the window operates the go from there
Old 12-22-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fixed it

tried plugging in the switch from the passenger window with no luck.

ended up taking the window motor assembly out and taking the housing for the motor off and the housing for the connector off. cleaned everything as best i could and put it back together and it worked again.

not sure what the problem was, there was a lot of gunk built up in there.