A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Why does my compressor decide to randomly turn itself on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-1999, 09:33 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Some more food for thought...

The compressor won't just automatically come on...you've got to either press the "Auto" button or the "*" [snowflake] button. What I'm trying to say is the system is smart and remembers what you've pressed....it will remember for a <b>long</b> time. Maybe an example will help illustrate my point:<p>Monday: outside temp is 50 degrees when you press the "Auto" button. Compressor comes on and you see the "snowflake" light up in the display. Turn car off ("Auto" mode is still engaged).<p>Tuesday: Cold snap hit last night, temps now below 32....climate control shows no snowflake symbol.<p>Weds: Temps back up in the 50's when you start your car up in the morning. After a moment you notice that the compressor has come back on and your climate control now displays the snowflake symbol again. You actually never left "Auto" mode.<p>I do agree that it seems ridiculous to run the A/C on a dry, cool day (temps in the 50's, low 60's). On days like that, I turn the compressor off. I will run the compressor if it's very humid out, like during a rainstorm.<p>I have no idea why Audi felt it was necessary to run the A/C compressor so much (other than keeping the internal seals lubricated).<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights, more...