A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Who gets the best gas mileage on thier B5 A4 1.8T, and how?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who gets the best gas mileage on thier B5 A4 1.8T, and how?

Ok so here is the deal, due to various changes in my life I may start doing a LOT of highway travel in the coming years so my build goals for this car have shifted. Originally I was going for mild reliable horsepower, now I need efficiency and longevity... I want to see What kind of gas mileage you guys are getting and what you did to get there. Bone stock my best recorded highway mileage was 32.4 mpg. That was when I still had my OEM 15" wheels. Best mileage with my 18" wheels 31.2 The Enkei wheels are lighter than the 15's but the tires were heavier. Approx three pounds more per corner, I will be changing that with the next set of rubber though for a lighter set. The kumhos are 25.6 lbs each. I learned a quick lesson on the effects of rotational mass when I bought my heavy TSW wheels.
I also added a K&N filter recently and talked to the guys at APR about a stage 1 tune and they said my MPG will go up if i get that done. Basically i would love to get as close to 35mpg as possible. I think it can be done with the 1.8. Opinions? Thoughts?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Gas mileage

Check http://www.fuelly.com as this is a database of various cars. Just do a search for your particular model.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can't really help with set-ups for improving the mileage considering I pull an efficient 15 mpg with the current mods. The most fuel is used when you are getting the car going, cruising is not too bad as long as the speeds aren't high. If you do everything with the gas like there is an egg between your foot you will greatly increase the mileage. If you are really easy on the gas with mild acceleration you will bring up the mileage. I blew the turbo outlet pipe off on the intake side of the turbo only to find that most of the threads were stripped out of the lock nut. I tightened it as much as I could and basically stayed out of boost for a few tanks until I had the time to replace the clamp and got over 100 kms extra per tank. When I replaced the clamp so I could go at full boost once more the extra mileage dropped right off. Bumping it from 18 PSI to 15 PSI is also good for about 60 kms per tank.

Rolling resistance will change the mileage so wider tires with greater contact patches will decrease mileage. Make sure you have enough air pressure in the tires as well because this will also cause the mileage to drop. If you can drop any weight then this will cause the mileage to go up a bit. Try to keep your highway speeds down as well, it takes more fuel to do 65 mph than it does to do 55 mph.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

ack...15 mpg, what did you do to that thing?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

a stage one tune will increase MPG about 3-4 mpg butit also will make the car so much more fun to drive it can really hurt mpg as well, I tell guys the tune is the best mod you can do and it WILL transform how the car drives but for the money spent it is hard to justify it just for the MPG alone. but for starters yes tires wheels and airpressure make a difference as well.....
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

It definitely wouldnt bother me to get an increase in power and mpg. While im sure I will enjoy the newfound power and enjoy it from time to time I am pretty diligent about using the cruise control and gentle acceleration. As long as the overall average mpg goes up im sure I will see it as money well spent.