A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 wont shift out of seconds gear after jump start

Old 07-11-2014, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 wont shift out of seconds gear after jump start

So today my 2001 audi a4 1.8t wouldn't start so me and my roommate proceeded to jumpstart the car. He turned on the running car and i hooked up my end to my battery and then we connected the other end to the running car. We got a small spark and a little smoking coming from the donor vehicle and immediately removed the clamps.

I jumped the car with an car later and it started fine. However now the car wont shift out of 2nd gear. 1st to second is smooth. If it does shift to third its a hard shift, but really it wasn't shifting to 3rd. Check engine light came on. I checked the OBDII and it read back "gear ration incorrect".

Obviously something happened when we jumped it. Would you say the transmission relay was damaged or the transmission solenoids were? I have a voltage meter so I can check the voltage going to the transmission relay in the morning. What voltage should I get from it? And I believe its relay 369 for the automatic transmission right? If you do think the solenoids are damaged where is the box to access them located? Is it accessible from the top or under the car?Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

1. Never jump start if there is any way to avoid it
2. If you must jumpstart, the donor car should be off, not running
3. I'd start with a throttle body adaptation.
4. If adaptation fails, pull and post codes from engine and trans
Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Gum
I checked the OBDII and it read back "gear ration incorrect".

Obviously something happened when we jumped it. Would you say the transmission relay was damaged or the transmission solenoids were? I have a voltage meter so I can check the voltage going to the transmission relay in the morning. What voltage should I get from it? And I believe its relay 369 for the automatic transmission right? If you do think the solenoids are damaged where is the box to access them located? Is it accessible from the top or under the car?Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
It was gear ratio incorrect.

The solenoids are not likely to be what, if anything, was damaged. FYI they are inside the transmission, accessible when the pan is removed. I'd suggest that you use VAG-COM to scan the TCM, then clear codes. Perhaps remove the battery's positive cable for a few minutes, then reconnect and see if the problem is still there.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
2.5. If you do connect to another cars battery, connect positive leads *first*, the negative leads *last* with the last negative lead connected to the dead car last and preferably to a body earth rather than the battery (this last bit isn't vital, but is preferred by most manufacturers).
Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
What is a throttle body adaption?

Any other suggestions guys? Ive got nothing. If you try to use the car the transmission gets very out just after a few minutes. Yesterday I drove it about a mile to test it out and when I stoped and opened the hodd a lil bit of smoke was coming for the left of the engine. Im pretty sure it lined up with where the transmission was located.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

very Hot*