A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Turn signals and hvac fan not working. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals and hvac fan not working. Help!

Just recently picked up a 1998 audi a4 quattro 1.8t. The previous owner had the headlights wired to a different switch because he said the original switch stopped working. Well the wire and switch was just hanging down so I wanted to move it to a better location until I order a new factory switch. I accidently touched one of the wires to a piece of metal and it sparked. It blew the headlight fuse so I replaced it. Headlights work but turn signals and blower motor fan do not work now. The hazards work fine but no turn signals and the bars for the fan speed show on the display but there is no fan. Any suggestions on what it could be? I've already checked the fuses for both and they are good.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:42 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like you may have inadvertently caused a short circuit when the wire touched the metal, which could have affected multiple electrical components in your Audi A4. Even though you replaced the headlight fuse, there may be additional fuses that were blown as a result of the short circuit. Check all the fuses in the fuse box, including those related to the turn signals and HVAC system. Refer to your owner's manual or fuse box cover for the location of these fuses. Carefully inspect the wiring harnesses in the areas where the wire touched the metal. Look for any signs of damage, such as melted insulation, burned wires, or loose connections. Repair or replace any damaged wiring as needed. The turn signals and blower motor fan may be controlled by relays in addition to fuses. Test the relays related to these components to ensure they are functioning correctly. You can do this by swapping relays with known working ones or using a multimeter to check for continuity.

If the fuses and relays are all in good condition, the issue may be with the switches or controls for the turn signals and blower motor fan. Inspect these components for any signs of damage or wear, and consider testing them with a multimeter to ensure they are functioning properly.