A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Turbocharge 2.8l 30v? Idea? Maybe possible.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

<rolls eyes>
Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny how we all dream of doing something unique, like You wanting to turbo a 2.8. Listen to the wise men telling you to just buy a 2.7T or if you like the older models buy a 5cylinder turbo.

I also had the crazy idea of turbo charging a non turbo car, it was my 6g72 SOHC V6 dodge daytona i did lots of mods like porting the heads, intake, TB, 3" exhaust, etc. I spent hundreds of dollars and the car still only ran 15s 1/4.

Then i had the idea of turbo charging it and even tho the engine could easily take 600+ HP with only having to upgrade to forged pistons it was going to cost me thousands for the turbo, inter cooler, pistons, Fuel managing system, Mega Squirt, etc The car was still going to be slower than The Daytonas that actualy came with a turbo.

So what i ended up doing was buying an 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby Tubo2 intercooled with the 2.2l engine. that car ran 12s 1/4 miles by turning the boost up to 20psi and the best thing was i Bought it for $600 insted of the $4,000 i was going to spend on a car that would most likely brake cause it wasnt ment to be turboed.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It was done once...once...

at considerable expense and poor driveability
Old 10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

That's great news! Now that we know it has been done, Hightone64 no longer needs to do it! His Audi is saved!!!

*All sarcasm in this post is directed at Hightone64 and his "do something different" reason for this project. No sarcasm (not even a little) was directed toward WJM. No Audis were harmed in the making of this post.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think it's bolt on.

My friend just put all the 2.7t hardware on his b6 A4. Everything bolted up but I think his is a 3.0 not 2.8. I think it's alright to be unique but why go through all that trouble to boost 8PSI so the thing does not blow up. He has money and he could of made a sick S4.

Now all he has is an unreliable a4 as a daily driver which is pointless.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow you guys just killed the man's dream. If he wants to do it shouldn't you guys try to find the info about his question and try to help him rather than beating his idea into the ground. So far no one has a solid idea of what else he might do differently than whats been done to the 2.8L engine. I might be the only one but I liked where his idea was going, wish I could've seen more. And by the way the in the b5 series the 2.8 is the most reliable engine both the 2.7 and 1.8 have alot of faults, a few of my friends have those cars and its sad how often they have to repair something on the car. I just think if he went with something custom and stronger parts it might be a great idea, its all about understanding the way engines work. You can put anything in any engine block just as long as you know how to make it work and you gotta be open minded.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nxaudi1998
its all about understanding the way engines work. You can put anything in any engine block just as long as you know how to make it work and you gotta be open minded.
That my friend is true you can put anything you want in an engine block, but unfortunately the 2.8 block is not a block you want to force feed.

Just saying.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

From what I know the bottom end wouldnt hold it hence the 2.7 for s4. You would make doing this easier with a standalone like 034, but the crank/rods/mains etc. would require a lot. I can tell you building a 1 of a kind engine is not only expensive but frustrating, and you often have to fabricate many many parts.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

im trying to do the same general thing as hightone64 is... and now that i have taken my engine apart (just a project engine on the side) i realize that its all head.... the block is prety small for the engine. not alot of room to bore and such... still tho im not givin up yet. ill have it somethin it never shulda been before too long. and either way even if me and hightone are doin an idea thats already been done i guarentee each 2.8L transformed into a twin turbo is gonna be unique.... with all the jimmy riggin thats gona have to be done theres no way were all gonna figure it out the same lol. i just hope we dont blow the hell outa our engines and bcome laughing stocks... but if i blow'er ill be the firt to laugh :P
Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

plus building YOUR car isnt all about the HP u get at the end... or about whats probably cheaper... and SURE AS HELL not about whats easier. more about you and your car. didnt someone smarter then us once say somethin about broadening ones horizens or somethin along those lines

Quick Reply: Turbocharge 2.8l 30v? Idea? Maybe possible.