A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Transmission level - how to check???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission level - how to check???

Ok, I know this seems like a reaaaalllly stupid question, but on my '96 A4 12v I cannot find a dipstick to check the transmission fluid with. Surely Audi was smart enough to give a nice simple way of checking this without having to jack up the vehicle, pull some plug, then put your finger inside and see if it has fluid on it? I'm talking about an automatic and I do have a lot of experience working on my own cars. I've also owned a couple of Audi's prior to this one so I'm not a total idiot, although this is making me feel like one. And before anyone asks, no I don't have a manual yet including an owners manual.

Tom
Corralitos, CA
Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well...

Originally Posted by Tjrobinson
Ok, I know this seems like a reaaaalllly stupid question, but on my '96 A4 12v I cannot find a dipstick to check the transmission fluid with. Surely Audi was smart enough to give a nice simple way of checking this without having to jack up the vehicle, pull some plug, then put your finger inside and see if it has fluid on it? I'm talking about an automatic and I do have a lot of experience working on my own cars. I've also owned a couple of Audi's prior to this one so I'm not a total idiot, although this is making me feel like one. And before anyone asks, no I don't have a manual yet including an owners manual.

Tom
Corralitos, CA
As far as a dipstick. Good luck finding one. You are not going to find it with your car. The trans does not have it. And for jacking up the car and removing the fill plug. DON'T stick your finger in there. You are to check the car with the the fluid warm, and the car level, there should just be a little fluid trickling out as the cars fluid warms up to about 40 - 45C