A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Transmission acting up

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission acting up

Hey every one! I'm new to this forum and I discovered it when I was searching for solutions to my 2000 Audi A4 Quattro transmission problems.

Any one ever hear of the transmission skipping when turning at around 2nd gear speed? Also it will shift hard and when I put it into reverse I hear a metal clanking noise. Finally... it is making a noise similar to the noise you hear in some cars when you put them into reverse... that whining sound. I am going to do a complete transmission fluid, filter and seal change this week to see if that will help.

Any one have any other ideas?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default im guessing your car is manual?? if so all manual cars when you have them in reverse....

they all make that noise, at least every car iv had (3 all manual) have mad that noise,

are you a aggressive driver, race your car, beat on it ofter... more info would help
Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 PM

Default Re: im guessing your car is manual?? if so all manual cars when you have them in reverse....

Actually... my transmission is the automatic/tiptronic. I found that when I drive my car hard, the transmission does not act up. it is only when I am driving normally, or babying the car that it will miss gear, rev high and then catch all of a sudden.

The whining noise happens from about 1st gear to 3rd gear. and reverse. higher then that and I cannot hear it.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default hmm, i dont know much about tiptronic but it sounds you use tiptronic a lot...

if so im betting you broke something in your transmission, maybe a seal or a gasket, AGAIN i dont know much about the Tiptronic transmission, so im not 100% sure im just trying to help out..

hopefully someone else knows more... =/
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Pull and post codes. Use the right fluid and change filter when you do the service.

Look for leaks. Sounds like it might be low.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you continue to allow the trans to flare you'll burn clutch discs and

need a rebuild or a good low mileage trans to swap.

try this test. get the car at the top of a good hill and GENTLY accelerate down the hill. If it doesn't flare or mis behave then you probably have a bad seal on the clutch/brake C assembly.

are you setting a check engine light yet? or is the car going into limp mode?

hopefully a fluid change will solve your problem. if not, you'll need to decide if you're going to dump the car, pay for a rebuild, or swap in a good used tranny. I got a good tranny from Chris at Force5 awhile back.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 PM

Default Transmission update!

Ok so a quick update on my transmission problems. I replaced the seals, and fluid and it is driving with a little more power and not acting up as much but it does still slip slightly... any one have any new ideas? Also I think I have a power steering leak. I saw fluid leaking out from the driver side behind the tire. looks like it was coming from a support area. It is reddish clear fluid.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is some info I was told when investigating changing the fluid.

I also have a tiptronic. I don't have any issues with it, BUT I wanted to be proactive and change the fluid (I am at 125k miles).

I was told by Audi that we have a lifetime transmission and that they do not recommend a fluid change.
I then called Ringtec (Audi specialty shop) and he basically said the same but he elaborated. He said, it is more likely that a fluid change would cause the fresh fluid to make the car feel like it is driving better in the begining but in the long run it will actually create issues by loosening parts up more. His recommendation was to not do the change and ride it out.

Again, unlike you I don't have any issues however.

I hope the info helps.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Did Audi definite "lifetime"? Lifetime is shorter with no fluid change.

The other comment is just odd. How does a fluid change loosen parts?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Did Audi definite "lifetime"? Lifetime is shorter with no fluid change.

The other comment is just odd. How does a fluid change loosen parts?
Misinterpretation: If you introduce fresh ATF into a Transmission with Marginal clutch material(125k), The detergent packages in the new fluid will accelerate the rate of wear and shorten the life of the transmission. I have seen this happen MANY times. The European market considers the life of a vehicle to be 7 yrs/100,000 miles. In fact, many european nations tax heavily any car over 100,000 miles or its equivilent. They do not have the "westinghouse" mentality that we have that cars should last forever.

Quick Reply: Transmission acting up