A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tapping Rears For Amp Install HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping Rears For Amp Install HELP!

I posted this in Audio but hopefully I will get some replies and help in here, since I'm trying to do this today.

I went to a few car local car audio places with intentions to remove my head unit and then I would come home and run the rca's to the blaupunkt adapter I would install. First place wanted to charge me $15 just to take out the radio so I got pissed off and left. Second place couldn't even get it out, and they were doing it for free since I knew the guy. But he also suggested that I didn't need to get back there and it would be simpler to just tap the rears speakers that go into the rear amp. He wasn't that knowledgable about Audi's so I'm asking you guys exactly how to do this.

I have read probably every thread made on this for a few weeks straight. Problem is that this is the first install I've ever done and I don't want to $%^# anything up. Also I can't afford to pay someone to install it professionally, but I'd rather do it myself anyway.

Someone help me out and tell me this is the way to go. I already ran the power to my battery and I still need to ground it and run the remote somehow. How exactly do I tap the wires? I have RCA cables that came with my amp kit but I'm unsure which wires go to which and what I need to do to the RCA's to get this to work.

This is being done on a B5 with Symphony (non-Bose).
Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Tapping Rears For Amp Install HELP!

I installed an amp in my 01 A4 w/ Symphony. I will honestly say that if you don't have any experience, then don't mess with it. I used my Monster line converter by tapping into the factory harness for the sub in the back (I have an Avant), however if you have a sedan, I don't know if your car has that sub. The thing that took the longest was taking half of the interior apart to run the wires and access the factory amp. Just reference the Bentley manual on how to remove interior panels.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Banned

Default How hard was it removing the interior panels to the Avant Sub/Amp?

I want to remove mine completely as I have an aftermarket system and want to get rid of the dead weight.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:00 PM

Default I have the sedan and there is no sub... I have the rear deck out, just don't know which wires to

use and to splice into. I want my amp to control the rear speakers and my 2 subs only. I don't care about the front.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: How hard was it removing the interior panels to the Avant Sub/Amp?

it was pretty involved. The directions in the bentley manual are very helpful.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I have the sedan and there is no sub... I have the rear deck out, just don't know which wires to

you have to tap into the speaker lines with your adapter. Your RCA cable runs from the adapter to your amp. Since the factory head unit does not have an RCA output, you have to use the signal to the rear speakers for your amp. As for the remote wire, you have to tap into a signal that turns off and on with either your radio or when you turn the key on.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:44 PM

Default I'm lost...So on my blaupunkt adapter, there are 2 greys, 2 blacks, and the blue remote...

The 2 blacks seem to be left and right rears... Do I just splice a positive end of the speaker wire (anyone know the colors?) to one of the black rca cables on the blaupunkt adapter? And then the negatvie to the other rca rear cable... Can the speaker wire be tapped directly to this rca adapter like this? Someone please explain.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Which wires to tap?

To the rear right speaker there are 2 wires that go into it....one red w/ green stripe and a brown w/ black... In the harness that plugs into the rear left speaker there are those 2 wires, a white one (remote?), an all brown, red/blue, 2 red/brown into 1 pin, a red/blue, blue/green and another red/blue..

Could someone tell me which wires to I tap for the right rear rca cable and the left rear rca cable?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Can any offer some help/advice. I don't want to go to and pay an installer tomorrow to do this :(

I have everything on my amp connected expect the rca signals. I have my rear deck pulled out and I stripped the remote turn on going into the rear speaker and tapped that using my blaupunkt adapter. Should I even be using this adapter when tapping into the rear or just the RCA cable that came with my amplifier wiring kit? Someone please offer some help. I don't want to give in and have someone else do it for me.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default NO

you can't tap the rca directly into the speaker wire, that's what the adapter is for.

Quick Reply: Tapping Rears For Amp Install HELP!