A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Suspension squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension squeaking?

I've noticed a squeaking sound from my suspension for a while now, and it's probably time to sweep it out from under the rug before taking the car to the track in a few weeks. I haven't really been able to get under the car to try to diagnose the issue, but I was hoping you guys might recognize the sound- I'm guessing it probably means it's time to replace some suspension components. Any takers?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/THMj72EG2Kc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/THMj72EG2Kc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's either a tierod or a really really shot strut/shock.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When a coil spring breaks, it's ususally right on the end....like the last 2 inches. Sometimes that makes the spring bow instead of sitting straight, and it will then rub on the shock/strut. Sounds like that to me.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

mtroxel, I checked the springs today and they appear to be fine. I didn't notice any bowing or rubbing against the strut. It actually sounds like it's coming from behind the wheels inline with the axel - maybe the strut/spring connection or a failing CV? It's happening on both sides, but I think I notice it a little bit more on the drivers side.

Any suggestions of things to look at and listen to? It's hard to narrow down what it could be without getting under the car, but I'll feel much better once I know what it is just so I can prioritize it correctly.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm also looking into the possibility of it being the control arm bushings going bad. Could be they just need some grease, others say they needed to replace the whole thing.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've replaced a lot of bad c-arms and none of them sounded like that. Never rule anything out, but sounds unlikely.

It also sounds a bit like something rubbing on a heat shield.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had similar experience.
It happened after I worked on rear CV joints.
I didn't have that much knowledge on cars back then, and I ended up tighting all the suspension bolts before I raised the whole suspension to a certain position.
By not doing so, when cars weight is loaded on the bushing, it caused an extra stress, and my bushings failed.
I found out mine (especially upper bushings) were completely damaged.
You know the bushing has metal outer core, rubber in the middle, and inner metal core. Rubber parts were completely separated from the matal piece.

It made very bad squick. Rubblicating didn't help. It came back almost right away.

I finally replaced all the bushings. No problem afterwards.
Not a cheap mistake.

I ended up putting in polyurethane bushings, so I don't have to worry about it for a long long time. And it handles a little better too.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my 99 just started this last week, it has been getting worse fast!! sounds like a dry bushing, i hope to get some time to get under the car soon!
I checked the suspension out about 3 weeks ago and everything was tight so, I assume Mine is a dry bushing