A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Spec steel flywheel with other clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec steel flywheel with other clutch?

Anyone using a Spec steel flywheel with a non-Spec clutch kit? My Spec Stage 2 clutch is on it's way out, and I'd like to try a different clutch but use the Spec 14 lbs. single mass steel flywheel that I already have. The friction surface is replaceable, so I'm hoping dimensionally it works well with clutch kits other than Spec's.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes. The Spec is cut to the OEM flywheel or really cut to the Aasco flywheel specs, so any clutch made to work on the stock flywheel will work. I know plenty of people that ran SB clutch kits on the Spec flywheel, I ran a Spec 15 lbs steel flywheel with my old WOA clutch. So a CM clutch kit will also work on the Spec.

This also goes with any other aftermarket flywheel out there like CM and SB, they too will work with any clutch made to work with the stock flywheel. Only differnce is that you will use a sprung clutch disk with a single mass flywheel vs a unsprung disk for a stock flywheel.

BTW you sure your spec flywheel is 14 lbs? Their steel flywheel should be 15 lbs and their aluminum flywheel is 9 lbs. Unless your talking about their 240mm flywheel. The AWE aluminum flywheel is 14 lbs.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not absolutely sure about the fw weight. I thought it was 14 lbs, but their site now shows the steel version at 16 lbs., so I'm probably mistaken.

Do you favor a particular brand of clutch? I've now gone through two Spec clutches with disappointing life spans, so I'm looking to try something else. Ideally I'd get a OEM RS4 clutch kit, but apparently that only works with an S4 fw, or ECS's adapted single mass fw. I'm trying not to replace the fw so I can use that money towards a trans rebuild (failing syncros).
Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

S4/RS4 OEM clutch kits are 240mm, the stock is 228mm. I would stay away from the S4/RS4 OEM clutch kits because they are self adjusting and tend to fail which means you then have to pull the transmission back off to replace it.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tend to fail under what conditions? I don't plan on tracking the car, just a quick and comfortable daily driver. Power and torque won't exceed 300.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

The self adjusting part of the clutch breaks. A simple google search on this will bring up plenty of posts/threads from S4 owners about this, but here are a few.

the rs4pp sucks donkey *****, the SAC mechanism looks like a spring from a pen.

To the OP...the problem is most likely the horrible rs4 pp. The SAC mechanism is really fragile and it takes next to nothing to knock it out of whack. When i recieved mine it had already been knocked out of alignment just from being shipped.

Unfortunately, there really arent any clutches that dont use an rs4 pp unless youre talking about ones meant for big power. My advice is to get Vast clutch(rs4 pp) and make sure that the SAC mechanism is set correctly before its installed. It should come with instructions on how to check it, if not then there are tons of posts about it on here and AW. Be careful when putting it in because if you let the trans hit it hard it could knock it out again. Good luck with it!
Remember these are S4 2.7t owners talking about a clutch made for their car.

I destroyed a stock clutch and flywheel on my enhanced 2004 -S4 Avant (December 14 Laguna Seca Monterey CA) - we replaced it with a SPEC stage 2+ that worked great for about 700 easy careful miles until I got back on the track - I put the first 80 track miles on it very carefully, but on my thrid session it failed - appears the SAC failed. SPEC does not want to seem to stand up to it and the mechanic wants to use a Stock RS4 clutch - any ideas? Is this a good or bad suggestion? Car ahs all avaialble power upgrades ( full exhaust, intake and chip)

This is even on the list of common problems with the B5 S4 2.7t

[edit] Common Problems
K03 turbos fail - Often replaced with K04 turbos from the B5 RS4. K04 turbos also fail
Control Arms - Common to the B5 platform.
Wheel bearings - Common to the B5 platform.
Dash cluster display LED develops lines - Rebuild kit available.
Throttle body boot (TBB) leaks - Often replaced with an aftermarket boot.
Diverter Valves - Often replaced with 710N valves.
Coolant after run pump fails and leaks - Shine a flashlight under the intake manifold and look for dried pink G12 residue.
Valve cover and cam tensioner gaskets leak.
Central lock Pump
ABS Module
Seats wobble
Rearview mirror leaks
N75 valve
Window Regulators
Internal spring in interior door handle fails
Accessory belt tensioner noise
Power steering Pump
Spider hose
F hose
Boost Leaks
Bosch MAF Failure
Rear calipers seize/stick
Coil Packs
Ignition Control Amplifiers
PCV Valve
Bose speakers
EGT Sensors
o2 sensors
Climate control fan buzzes
SAC mechanism on stock and RS4 Clutch Pressure Plates
Clutch Slave Cylinder
1-2 shift collar and bad synchros
****y borg Warner journal bearing turbos-k03/k04

Save yourself a headache and buy a clutch that uses a Sach non self adjusting pressure plate.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I see. And nice first quote. Thanks for the help.