A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rookie shopping for A4, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie shopping for A4, advice?

I'm looking at low mileage A4's...'98-'99... 1.8 & 2.8 manuals. This will be my first Audi. Any particular mechanical issues that I should be looking for? I will have mechanical inspections done on my 2 finalists. Thanx in advance. Love this forum!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 PM
One
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Makstone
I'm looking at low mileage A4's...'98-'99... 1.8 & 2.8 manuals. This will be my first Audi. Any particular mechanical issues that I should be looking for? I will have mechanical inspections done on my 2 finalists. Thanx in advance. Love this forum!
When shopping for a car always consider the previous owner to get an idea of how it was treated and check maintenance history and that all the services have been performed like timing belt, trans service etc.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by One
When shopping for a car always consider the previous owner to get an idea of how it was treated and check maintenance history and that all the services have been performed like timing belt, trans service etc.
True, but are there any typical failure items unique to this particular model that I need to pay particular attention to?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Conventional logic is to always look for a vehicle with low miles/kilometres. Although having a vehicle that has been driven less than normal distances each year may seem like a good idea, consider the converse: the vehicle has been sitting idle for longer than normal as well. The result with some 'low-mileage' vehicles are oil leaks from the engine, corrosion in the braking system and even fuel system delivery issues.

Instead of confining your search to just a few vehicles, consider ones that have been driven more, but the maintenance has been done on a regular basis. Not only will you save money, you will not have to begin 'catching up' on the items not done at the correct time. For instance, the timing belt can dry-rot and potentially break even though the vehicle is rarely driven.

Items that can be an issue with the A4 (B5) platform include:
Oil seepage from cam cover gaskets and cylinder head end cap plugs
Timing belt, including water pump, thermostat and related pulleys
Oil seepage from front camshaft seals
Oil seepage from front/rear crankshaft seals
Exhaust leaks from downpipe (catalyst) flexible joint(s)
Turbocharger unit (1.8L)
Front and rear wheel bearings
Constant-velocity joint boots, especially front
Centre bearing and carrier on drive shaft (Quattro models only)
Front suspension control arms
Rear suspension control arm bushings
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Cruise control switch
Headlamp switch
Central locking system ECU
Heater core and evaporator
Window regulators

Of course not all items are issues with all vehicles, but these are areas that come up often. While this list is by no means exhaustive, it will give you some idea as to what to look for as you begin your search.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True, but are there any typical failure items unique to this particular model that I need to pay particular attention to?
With low mileage cars frequently the timing belt service hasn't been done. Any A4 you buy is now 10 years old so it should have been done based on time not mileage.

Failure of the belt/ tensioner/ water pump can total the motor.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

As you look at the vehicles, also pay attention to any modifications the previous owner may have done. The B5 platform, especially the 1.8L and later 2.8L models, are popular with 'tuners' who may want to gain additional performance with 'chips' for the fuel system ECU. Some will also modify the suspension or clutch assembly and while these are not necessarily bad, the quality of work and type of modification(s) performed are something to pay close attention to.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HBAudi
As you look at the vehicles, also pay attention to any modifications the previous owner may have done. The B5 platform, especially the 1.8L and later 2.8L models, are popular with 'tuners' .
I know a lot of guys here won't like this, but I avoid any car where the ad brags about the mods that have been done. Two reasons:
  1. Design is always a compromise. The factory has always weighed drivability, durability, the rest of the drive train, etc. Most guys in their driveway have not.
  2. I always assume a tuner car has been beat.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mtroxel
I know a lot of guys here won't like this, but I avoid any car where the ad brags about the mods that have been done. Two reasons:
  1. Design is always a compromise. The factory has always weighed drivability, durability, the rest of the drive train, etc. Most guys in their driveway have not.
Well said indeed!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtroxel
The resale on modded cars is very poor for that reason.

I have sold 1/2 dozen vehicles on Craigslist over the last few years , good adult owned un-molested, well maintained (with records) vehicles go for a premium.

A nice set of rims is OK but anything else is toxic.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HBAudi
Conventional logic is to always look for a vehicle with low miles/kilometres. Although having a vehicle that has been driven less than normal distances each year may seem like a good idea, consider the converse: the vehicle has been sitting idle for longer than normal as well. The result with some 'low-mileage' vehicles are oil leaks from the engine, corrosion in the braking system and even fuel system delivery issues.

Instead of confining your search to just a few vehicles, consider ones that have been driven more, but the maintenance has been done on a regular basis. Not only will you save money, you will not have to begin 'catching up' on the items not done at the correct time. For instance, the timing belt can dry-rot and potentially break even though the vehicle is rarely driven.

Items that can be an issue with the A4 (B5) platform include:
Oil seepage from cam cover gaskets and cylinder head end cap plugs
Timing belt, including water pump, thermostat and related pulleys
Oil seepage from front camshaft seals
Oil seepage from front/rear crankshaft seals
Exhaust leaks from downpipe (catalyst) flexible joint(s)
Turbocharger unit (1.8L)
Front and rear wheel bearings
Constant-velocity joint boots, especially front
Centre bearing and carrier on drive shaft (Quattro models only)
Front suspension control arms
Rear suspension control arm bushings
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Cruise control switch
Headlamp switch
Central locking system ECU
Heater core and evaporator
Window regulators

Of course not all items are issues with all vehicles, but these are areas that come up often. While this list is by no means exhaustive, it will give you some idea as to what to look for as you begin your search.
Great info guys! Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Rookie shopping for A4, advice?