A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Recently bought 2001 A4 question on fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Soldering also makes the wires brittle and introduces solder flux into the wires that may damages the sensor.

I am not a fan of universal sensors. They aren't "universal".
Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Soldering also makes the wires brittle and introduces solder flux into the wires that may damages the sensor.

I am not a fan of universal sensors. They aren't "universal".
Please tell me this is a joke. Neither of those are true.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Edwardo
Please tell me this is a joke. Neither of those are true.
Sigh. So much fail.

While you *do* make a compelling argument (sarcasm), Bosch agrees with me.

"Do NOT solder wires. Soldering wires will lead to early sensor failure."

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Techni...allGDWEB09.pdf

As for the brittleness, you'll have to test that on your own.

Last edited by 4Driver4; 04-01-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bosch's smartlink connector is pretty nice, but i'd guess they have other reasons for saying don't solder it, such as people who don't follow directions and would try and solder it an inch from the sensor. Electronics solder is used all over for wiring and such and it makes an excellent connection, but just because Bosch doesn't recommend it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. There is no reason it would hurt the sensor unless you managed to overheat it doing a poor soldering job.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Back to the OP's question. A universal sensor will work just fine. We actually carry a very nifty Bosch arrangement that provides everything you need to replace your O2 with a universal sensor. There is something to be said for direct fit though, as I did O2's in my car and it took, literally, 5 minutes with the exact sensor, but it cost 60% more.

Tips:
1) Use neverseize on the new O2's threads in case you have to remove it again.
2) Also, a specialty 02 wrench makes this job very easy (and the tool can be used on other vehicles).

We carry the universal system, which a little bit better details and pricing can be found here, click click.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chris@ECStuning
Back to the OP's question. A universal sensor will work just fine. We actually carry a very nifty Bosch arrangement that provides everything you need to replace your O2 with a universal sensor. There is something to be said for direct fit though, as I did O2's in my car and it took, literally, 5 minutes with the exact sensor, but it cost 60% more.

Tips:
1) Use neverseize on the new O2's threads in case you have to remove it again.
2) Also, a specialty 02 wrench makes this job very easy (and the tool can be used on other vehicles).

We carry the universal system, which a little bit better details and pricing can be found here, click click.
Thanks Chris, What is the difference between ECS part#2611 and part#269291? it seems like they're the same thing only one is the genuine vw/audi part. am I wrong in that assumption?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

^^ One is OEM and one is Bosch.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Sigh. So much fail.

While you *do* make a compelling argument (sarcasm), Bosch agrees with me.

"Do NOT solder wires. Soldering wires will lead to early sensor failure."

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Techni...allGDWEB09.pdf

As for the brittleness, you'll have to test that on your own.
My best guess for Bosch recommending that is to keep people who don't know how to solder properly complaining when it doesn't work. The sensor sees more heat from the exhaust (and it's own internal coil) than soldering 18" away down a 18ga wire could ever apply to the sensor.

I am an electrical engineer and have worked for DoD contractors. Guess what? The preferred method of electrical connection is solder, not crimp. A proper solder job will last longer and have lower resistance than a crimp job. Is that compelling enough, or do I need a link to a PDF?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Not to kill the debate going on here, but we also carry direct fit (non solder/crimping) sensors. In fact, they are 53% OFF right now, just get one and keep it easy!
Click here for direct replacement O2 Sensors
Old 04-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Edwardo
I am an electrical engineer and have worked for DoD contractors. Guess what? The preferred method of electrical connection is solder, not crimp. A proper solder job will last longer and have lower resistance than a crimp job. Is that compelling enough, or do I need a link to a PDF?
How much soldering do you do for Bosch?

I agree that solder makes a better mechanical connection. However, Bosch, the manufacturer of the device, does not recommend it. I've heard different reasons for this, including possible damage to the sensor from flux damage. Regardless of the logic or science, the manufacturer does not recommend solder and has provided an excellent alternative.

Get back in the box, engineer! LOL

Quick Reply: Recently bought 2001 A4 question on fuel economy