A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rear Brake problem..Caliper piston will not retract. WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake problem..Caliper piston will not retract. WTF!

I have done rear brake jobs on Audis a million times, but this A4 has me stumped. I have the Bentley Manual on this car & the steps for changing the pads are exactly the same as the older B4 cars. So why can't I turn the piston back in? I'm using the OEM Audi tool to retract it but all it does is turn. It retracted just a little but not all the way. What am I missing?
Thread:
Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quattromano
I have done rear brake jobs on Audis a million times, but this A4 has me stumped. I have the Bentley Manual on this car & the steps for changing the pads are exactly the same as the older B4 cars. So why can't I turn the piston back in? I'm using the OEM Audi tool to retract it but all it does is turn. It retracted just a little but not all the way. What am I missing?
Thread:
Sometimes if the brakes are very worn, it's necessary to turn it counter clockwise a little and then turn it back to allow the thread to engage.

Does your tool compress and twist at the same time?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Sometimes if the brakes are very worn, it's necessary to turn it counter clockwise a little and then turn it back to allow the thread to engage.

Does your tool compress and twist at the same time?
It just turns the piston to retract. It feels as though something is blocking the piston from compressing farther into the caliper.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The brake piston is miss-aligned or dirt is causing it to jam. Loosen the caliper bleeding screws to take pressure off and should be easy to retract it back in. Install brake pads and bleed.

I had the same problem last summer while driving. The brake wasn't retracting and just kept pushing out when I brake. What a bad smell that was. I took the caliper apart, cleaned it and it now works great.

Thread:
Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It just turns the piston to retract. It feels as though something is blocking the piston from compressing farther into the caliper.
I have the harbor freight one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...kit-97143.html

Rotates and compresses at the same time, works every time.