A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

radio swap..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio swap..

hey guys i got an odd question cause i know most people would just upgrade to an aftermarket radio. but i like the radios that are in the 99 a4's im wondering if anyone knows if they'd swap out easily from a 99 a4 to a 96 a4? just wondering any input or advice would be appreciated thanks. im wondering because my a4 doesnt have the 6cd changer
Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

BTDT. It can be done but requires some re-wire. Search for a write-up on how to do this for the 95.5 urS.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by a4quattrojon
hey guys i got an odd question cause i know most people would just upgrade to an aftermarket radio. but i like the radios that are in the 99 a4's im wondering if anyone knows if they'd swap out easily from a 99 a4 to a 96 a4? just wondering any input or advice would be appreciated thanks. im wondering because my a4 doesnt have the 6cd changer
Left pic is Concert I right is Delta.

A Concert I is a direct fit . However the new Concert I is set up via Audi K-line diagnostics and the original Delta doesn't have that feature. You need to splice in the K-line like the newer Audis.

You need to cut the wire in the loom going to plug III pin 3 , then find the K-line wire going to the Climate control (IIRC it's violet / green on plug IA) and tap a new wire into it. Run the new wire to Plug III Pin3 .

Install the concert I and use Vag.com to set the correct configuration. No of speakers, Bose etc.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

alright thanks for your help that dont seem like its to hard. will that radio fit in correctly too or am i gonna have to modify it for fitment?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

hey, can someone clarify something for me?

I just installed a Concert I radio + cd-changer after removing my old Chorus I player (had volume issue) .

Thing is the Concert was configured for BOSE system (i was getting BOSE on display when car start/player start).

My cars PRCode: 8RN = eight speakers (active) but i only have 6 visible speakers on 4 channels.

I used this configuration and it seems to work now : 00203 (front passive, rears active) .

Using 5 (front passive, rears non-active) i could not use the FADE option.
With the BOSE config i had no bass/lows in the car.

How to tell witch one is best and whats speakers.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

alright thanks for your help that dont seem like its to hard. will that radio fit in correctly too or am i gonna have to modify it for fitment?
Direct swap, you need to buy/ make the radio keys. Make sure you have the security code for the concert I.

Coding info (use Vag.com) is here.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/concert.html
Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by weaselciuy
hey, can someone clarify something for me?

I just installed a Concert I radio + cd-changer after removing my old Chorus I player (had volume issue) .

Thing is the Concert was configured for BOSE system (i was getting BOSE on display when car start/player start).

My cars PRCode: 8RN = eight speakers (active) but i only have 6 visible speakers on 4 channels.

I used this configuration and it seems to work now : 00203 (front passive, rears active) .

Using 5 (front passive, rears non-active) i could not use the FADE option.
With the BOSE config i had no bass/lows in the car.

How to tell witch one is best and whats speakers.
In US cars Bose is marked on the speakers. You probably don't have Bose.

Speaker configuration will depend on whether your car uses an amp. Depending on the car wiring you are using either line -out or regular outputs.

Line outs are on Plug I

Regular speaker level outs are plug II

Sounds like it's working as is.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default think maybe just aftermarket fellas

well i think im just gonna go after market that way its just plug and play, i want a flip up radio with dvd,cd and the navi system if possible anyone know any good radios like that? that will actually fit in our dashes? i was lookin on best buy but they say they dont fit our model cars? kinda gay i want one hardcore! with out having to modify and break **** on the dash lol! and i know our intakes are really good the way the are and i have heard of the whole darintake but id rather just get an actual CAI. anyone know any good manufacturers? Besides ebay i find them all over ebay with the MAF sensor adapter and all but for some reason i cant find any companies with a cold air intake system besides K&N air for the 2.8l 12v. anyone know anything appreciate it im sure its been discussed billions of times.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

well i think im just gonna go after market that way its just plug and play,
Not really, it's way more complicated especially with Bose and the adapter kits look like a$$.

There is no standard radio that fits that wide slot.

CAI will make the car noisier but slower.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought a 1997 a4 V6 that came with an aftermarket radio. The original wiring was missing, also there was no CD changer or its wiring.

I bought an oem Delta radio from ecs tunning and the metra adapter for this radio.
When I installed the radio it didnt turn on. I send the unit and turned out its Ok, so I think I am missing something.
Does the antenna need to be connected to lid the screen on?
Does the CD changer need to be connected to lid the screen on?

Any inputs will be appreciated

Juan F

Quick Reply: radio swap..