A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Prop shaft stuck on rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop shaft stuck on rear diff

Hello all,

I'm in the middle of changing out the CV joints on my center driveshaft; but the sucker won't come off of the rear differential. The front one came off real easy, so I don't know why the back has to be such a PITA. Is there perhaps a circlip that I can't see? Any recommendations? (I've been pulling and hammering on this this thing constantly for ~ an hour.)

Thanks.

2001 A4 1.8TQM
Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've tried:

PB Blaster
hammer
torch

Any suggestions? I know there's no bolts/circlips holding it on...

I'm beside myself....agh...

Would it be advisable to remove the rear flange w/the shaft, and then separate upon removal? Would that even work?

Any ideas appreciated.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by couchaudi
Hello all,

I'm in the middle of changing out the CV joints on my center driveshaft; but the sucker won't come off of the rear differential. The front one came off real easy, so I don't know why the back has to be such a PITA. Is there perhaps a circlip that I can't see? Any recommendations? (I've been pulling and hammering on this this thing constantly for ~ an hour.)

Thanks.

2001 A4 1.8TQM
The housing of the rear CV joint sticks and rusts to the lip of the rear differential flange. You will see the problem after you separate the two components. I use a dull bit on an air impact tool and hit the cv joint
in a diagonal motion toward the front of the car. It will take a number of impacts and will leave witness marks but they are harmless. Be prepared to have the complete drive shaft fall out so you might want to leave a couple of attaching screws loosely installed in the joint.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
The housing of the rear CV joint sticks and rusts to the lip of the rear differential flange. You will see the problem after you separate the two components. I use a dull bit on an air impact tool and hit the cv joint
in a diagonal motion toward the front of the car. It will take a number of impacts and will leave witness marks but they are harmless. Be prepared to have the complete drive shaft fall out so you might want to leave a couple of attaching screws loosely installed in the joint.
Thanks for the tip. Gonna take a "whack" at it right now.