A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Please Help, Switchblade key! Early 1998 A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, Switchblade key! Early 1998 A4

Hello,

I have an early model 98 A4, when I bought it I was not given any keyless entry transmitter. I bought one on Ebay, and I am trying to make it work.

I have searched the archives for a couple of hours and tried programming this several times but I cannot seem to make it work.

Questions:

Is it possible that my A4 did not come with keyless entry? It is a 2.8Q, with Bose, sunroof, and all of the other options I can think of. So, I would guess it was equipped with keyless entry.

Is there some modification I need to do to make the switchblade key work?

Should my switchblade key have two batteries in it? It came with only one.

I really appreciate the help, this is getting frustrating.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2006, 04:29 PM

Default More info please.....

what type of transmitter did you buy? 2 or 3 button for example? there is a possibility that yours uses the non switchblade style remote. I think that this maybe have changed in 98.5 to the switchblade remote which i have
Old 08-17-2006, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

2 batteries is what I have in my remote...98.5 A4
Old 08-17-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: More info please.....

The remote I have has 3 buttons plus a red panic button on the side.

I just bought new batteries for it, and that doesnt seem to help.

Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:43 PM

Default Will programming work from the passenger's door?

The reason I ask-

When I lock the car with the key from the drivers door, it will only lock the drivers door. It will not lock the other three doors. I am not sure exactly what causes this (a linkage between the lock cylinder on the drivers door and the locking system?), but the locks work fine from the inside button and the passengers door.

I think this may be part of the reason the programming is not working for me.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-17-2006, 05:44 PM

Default i dealt with the same problem

I bought a 3 button remote for my 98.5 and had no luck. i tried the two button remote and it worked perfectly. i havent used 2 batteries in either remote though. the three button remote is pointless on your car since there isnt a trunk actuator anyways. hope this helps a little
Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM

Default that is odd

the central locking is run by a vaccum. why only one door would lock doesnt make much sense
Old 08-17-2006, 05:47 PM

Default To clear something up for you guys...

It doesn't matter if your car came with a flipkey or not from the factory. The 96 and 97 A4 did not have a flipkey. The 96 has a different module all together and from what I know can't be simply updated to a flipkey. I have a 97 and updated mine by simply purchasing a flip remote off Ebay and had it cut at the dealer. I followed the directions in the tech article to recode and it worked. I don't believe that the 3 button remote with panic works with our car. You need the 2 button remote with panic. I think your problem is that you bought the wrong remote. It will work on your car if you get the correct remote and follow the recode directions.

1. Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.
2. Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.
3. On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked
4. With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.
5. Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.
6. Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe its not sensing the key being turned, and only locking the one door mechanically

it needs to sense the key turning to activate the cent. pump and lock the rest.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:01 PM

Default I was in the garage with the driver's door panel off and...

I did not notice anything that looked out of the ordinary. I cleaned the connections of everything with electronic cleaner.

The drivers door only locks mechanically, everything is connected and seems to be moving as it is supposed to. It is not locking the rest of the doors (and it does not close the windows) from the drivers door.

Is there a switch that relays this information to the central locking system? The interior switch on the drivers door locks and unlocks all of the doors as it is supposed to.

I think this may be related to the key not taking the programming.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Please Help, Switchblade key! Early 1998 A4