A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

PCV stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV stuff

I wasn't able to find any information in the Bentley manual about the PCV system. I pulled the hoses to make sure that they were clear in hopes of giving my new oil pan gasket a better chance at life. Aside from snapping the right one the hoses looked terrible. The internal was caked in this whiteish brownish blackish goop. The goop felt kinda watery. It did not appear they the goop was restricting flow too much.

Anyone else seen this? Is there any sort of valving in the head to control PCV flow? (because the Germans can't have enough moving parts.) I will replace the one side and depending on cost the drivers side too. Anything else I should look for that could restrict crank case breathability? Is there a section in the manual that discusses this that I missed?

Thanks!!!

Andrew
Old 02-27-2007, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

engine code or year of car would help.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:17 PM

Default 1996 A4 2.8 5speed (2 valve)

And as my former fiancée would say "oh, the car, its a red one." Thanks dear!
Old 02-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A comment....

The pcv is located in that long black plastic hose coming off the top of the valve cover(about $80). Well worth replacing, as it is the crux and cause of most top end oil leaks on the Audi V6 motors. I replaced ours on our 30v at about 55k and at 84k now, the motor does not leak a drop. Cheaper then replacing gaskets constantly.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: A comment....

Thanks!

I ran water in the hose and it does not appear that there is any valving in the hose. It is just a hose. I will replace them as they both are looking original and 200k miles will take its toll and pray that I don't have any more oil pan leaks.

I assume you have a 1977 911. Which if I am not mistaken has the 915 transmission. I also assume that if you still have the car you have had to rebuild. (how am I doing here?) I have been trying to get a handle on how long the average tear down and rebuild on the 915 takes and no one will give me a number. 3 hours? 30 hours? what are we talking about?

Thanks!!

Andrew
Old 02-27-2007, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default As far as I know there is no PCV . In the bottom of the plenum there is a small red rubber valve..

.. that does the same thing. You have to remove the plenum to get to it.

The plenum is the plastic duct behind the throttle body. Disconnect the vacuum lines and there are two 10 mm bolts holding it down.

Probably not worth replacing. The blow by on this engine is pretty common.

It's generally worse in the winter I have cleaned it three times (I am at 160kmiles)
Old 02-27-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, we have a 77 911S coupe. It really depends on how much work needs to be done on the trans. I replaced all of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear assemblies on the 915 box(mag case). Along with all new sliders and dogteeth for every gear. The main shaft bearings were in exceedingly good shape so those did not need to be touched. You can have 10-30 hours depending on what level you want to go to. The parts generally run about $500+. Brumos had a fully rebuilt 915 for $1800.

Running water through is not an indicator. We've a 96, as well as a 00 V6 A4, and the pcv's don't seemingly last much more then 50-60k before they start increasing crankcase pressure's enough that its pushing through upper end gaskets. I tend to replace them when I do the timing belt/waterpump combo every 60k. This has basically eliminated oil leaks in our cars completely. Its also a good idea to keep an eye on the oil pressure switch.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: As far as I know there is no PCV . In the bottom of the plenum there is a small red rubber valve

yea I pulled the plenum (even remembered those pesky little expanders for the studs before they dropped and got swallowed by the driveway) and made sure there weren't gremlins or nasty things living in it.

That still doesn't really answer the question of what is that goop in the "pcv hoses" (for lack of a better term) or should I not worry about it. Replace the hoses, put oil in and drive off into the sunset, right?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:30 PM

I priced out tools and parts (including a clutch) and I came up with almost 3k. The beauty of my 1986 911 is that it is still numbers matching. So I am more interested in rebuild than replacing. You wouldn't happed to be in the Baltimore area and willing to lend me the tools?

Thanks for the advice on the maintenance I will put that into the routine and pray for the best! That is the one thing that I am very much missing on my A4 (that my 911 has) an oil pressure gauge! The only time I have ever seen the usefulness in the oil temp is when I was chasing a Bently on I70. I found that the motor redlined at 125MPH and the only gauge that changed was the oil temp as it steadily increased. (Ah! That is why I am running Mobil 1!)

Is there a "mod" to replace the oil temp with pressure? or a pressure gauge that could be mounted somewhere so that you don't look like a ricer or a trucker?

Thanks!!

Andrew
Old 02-27-2007, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is this the hose you are talking about?

Is this the hose you are talking about?
http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1584

It's from purems and costs about $56? I have the same sight burning oil smell while idling and sometimes slightly smell it in cabin every now and then but have no oil leaks that I can see. I thought it was valve cover gasket. Admittedly, I haven't looked that hard for leaks, but see none on driveway.

Quick Reply: PCV stuff