A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A/C Clutch / Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Clutch / Sensor Issue

I have been having issues with my air conditioning for quite a while. This last weekend I had a mechanic check it out and he said that my compressor was not the problem, what the problem is is that I am missing a sensor that plugs into it. He said that it is a four-prong sensor when he did a direct connect to it that the compressor kicked right on and pushed out cold air. So I called Audi parts and explained my situation to them - they informed me that they were unsure of the part I was speaking of and their system did not list it so that meant it probably just comes with the compressor itself.

I guess my questions are as follows:
1. Does anyone have this sensor (spare of course) I can buy off them?
2. If no to #1, any clue where I can get this?
3. What is the actual name of this part?

Thanks for all/any help

Seth
Old 06-08-2009, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think we need more info than that. Did you see where he plugged in his equipment? If it was on the passenger side, on the condenser, then it's the high-side pressure switch, which is a highly DIY job. Photos of the connector and its location might also be helpful... as well as what kind of engine, engine code, year your car was built, etc.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry - shoulda had these details in the first e-mail

1999 Audi A4 - it's an early model '99 so it matches up with the '98 parts. I have the 2.8L V6 with an auto tranny (not sure that matters here).

What you said about the high side pressure switch seems to correlate with what he had indicated. He said that it was the "A/C pressure sensor" and as I mentioned in my previous post was a "four pronged sensor". No equipment was plugged in, he pulled it apart and did direct access to it. As far as location the passenger side on the condenser did *look* correct for where he was poking around. He said that all it takes to put this thing in (when I get it) is to remove the passenger side headlight and just pop it in. I assume due to the ease of his description you are probably on the right track. What do I need to say to Audi to get that part (or if you had a part number I cannot begin to explain how awesome that would be). Thanks in advance.

- Seth

Originally Posted by computrtutr
I think we need more info than that. Did you see where he plugged in his equipment? If it was on the passenger side, on the condenser, then it's the high-side pressure switch, which is a highly DIY job. Photos of the connector and its location might also be helpful... as well as what kind of engine, engine code, year your car was built, etc.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No Part number...

I would leave the headlight intact. I am much more comfortable with pulling the bumper- no alignment issues at reinstall! Sorry I don't have the part number, but if you call a dealership with your VIN, they should be able to tell you which high-side AC pressure switch you need... A quick search on www.autohausaz.com showed one for $42, if your car is a 97 A4 AEB (4-cyl) engine:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...h/Low%20Switch

Give it a shot and let us know.