A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Oil leak on pass. side - not cam plug ('96 12V)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak on pass. side - not cam plug ('96 12V)

I know it's not the cam plug b/c I replaced that to cure the major oil leak and I've checked that several times since. I also did the cam cover gaskets and checked them twice to make sure they are seated right. Also, I replaced all my breather hoses when I did the timing belt and they are dry.

Looking from underneath the car, if I didn't didn't know better I'd say it was the starter leaking. From the top I can see traces of where something has been leaking onto the bellhousing on the right side - looks like it started from the valley under the intake, but I can see where - is there a possible leak source under the intake?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Chain tensioner gaskets? Thats on top way in the back of the motor on the passenger side. When they leak they drip onto the exhaust manifold, and when stopped the smoke goes right into the intake for the climate control.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Not on a 12v.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What's weirder is that the sometimes the oil is brownish like motor oil, and sometimes it's almost clear - like p/s fluid. I keep checking the p/s fluid level using the prescribed procedure and it's constant on full.

With this car, I suppose I could have two intermittent leaks.

I might suspect the trans, if it weren't for the location of the oil on the starter and the fact that I used LubeGard which is dark red and thus I'd expect to have colored the Pentosin a shade off the original color.

Brake fluid level is steady also.

It's an automatic so there is no clutch slave either.

Anybody know if there are any oil galley plugs that terminate back there?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

At this point you should degrease the entire engine thoroughly, then inspect every so often with a bright light to find where the leak originates. Also smell the fluid if you find enough, maybe you can recognize what it is. There's also fluid in those engine mounts that can leak out.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
At this point you should degrease the entire engine thoroughly, then inspect every so often with a bright light to find where the leak originates. Also smell the fluid if you find enough, maybe you can recognize what it is. There's also fluid in those engine mounts that can leak out.
I degreased it as best I could when I had the front in "service position" to do the timing belt w/p etc., but it's difficult to get behind the motor.

Tried the sniff test, but whatever the leaking clear fluid is seems to have no smell - and I have a sensitive nose too. This is weird since Pentosin ATF and 11S as well as brake fluid all have very distinct odors.

It seems my phone has a flash and will take some pretty decent macro shots, so I'm going to try and snake it behind the back of the motor tonight. ...after the ignition switch replacement and exhaust welding that is...
Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure if the 12v has the same feature, but there is a coolant pipe that runs from the block front under the intake back behind the engine on a 30v. It hand presses into the block and seals with a small o-ring. On my 30v, the o-ring gave up the ghost and coolant started puddling in the valley. Once the valley filled, it started dribbling down the back. Pentosin changes from red to brown once it gets into the 'wild'. Pulling the intake on a 30v isn't difficult. Maybe similar for a 12v?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Pictures allowed me to confirm that it's coming from the top of the motor somewhere.

I now suspect the valley pan based on forum research. confirming this, I can look through the intake runners and definitely can see oil down there. I had always assumed it was coming off the p/s pump, but I guess not as my p/s fluid level has remained full during this whole time.

I'll update this when I know more, but if anyone has any words of wisdom or links to others, please chime in.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steveu812
Pictures allowed me to confirm that it's coming from the top of the motor somewhere.

I now suspect the valley pan based on forum research. confirming this, I can look through the intake runners and definitely can see oil down there. I had always assumed it was coming off the p/s pump, but I guess not as my p/s fluid level has remained full during this whole time.

I'll update this when I know more, but if anyone has any words of wisdom or links to others, please chime in.

Thanks
You should check the valley pan gasket and try to stick a small mirror under the intake and look for a head gasket leak. Head gasket leak will produce enough oil to run down the bell housing. On a 2.8 of 1996 vintage you will need to start chasing after ALL oil seals soon.Nature of the beast.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak on pass. side - not cam plug ('96 12V)

Originally Posted by steveu812
...I now suspect the valley pan based on forum research. confirming this, I can look through the intake runners and definitely can see oil down there. ....I'll update this when I know more, but if anyone has any words of wisdom or links to others, please chime in.

Thanks
If you determine the 'valley pan' gasket is the source of the leak, requiring the removal of the inlet manifold, remember to first tighten the cylinder head bolts by one quarter turn to avoid warping the heads when the inlet manifold is removed.