A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

NO: Converting back to quattro from rear wheel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO: Converting back to quattro from rear wheel conversion

Hello, does anyone know how much work it is to convert an audi a4 b5 back to quattro from rear wheel drive, prior owner of car states he welded it to only be rear wheel drive, I am not sure how he did that, perhaps he welded the front diff or kept it open? Does anyone have an idea of how to convert it back? Do I need the front differential seen as prior owner said he welded, I then assume it’s the front diff that’s welded but not sure, any help or info would be appreaciated
Old 04-23-2024, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd suggest you ask the previous owner what he exactly did.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ
I'd suggest you ask the previous owner what he exactly did.
previous owner is sadly not longer with us, if he was I would have asked.

I think it’s only the center diff that is welded and the front axels removed, I fear that the rear diff is also welded but it dosen’t feel like it when driving.

my original thought was to replace the axles in the front and placing a new gearbox instead of the current one, I also feel it’s harder to get just a torsen center diff instead of the whole gearbox
Old 04-23-2024, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The front differential may or may not be changed. The center diff would have been welded. However; like you say, it may be easier to source the entire transmission.

The front wheel bearings are designed to use the axle as a stub axle. I don't know how the bearings would have stayed in place, perhaps the outer stub axle was left in place. Regardless, I would put new bearings and hubs in the front.

Easy to decipher rear differential. Stock is open; so the wheels will spin in an opposite direction when unloaded.

I don't know if any electronic modifications were done to the ABS system to ignore the Electronic Differential Lock protocol.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 04-23-2024 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
The front differential may or may not be changed. The center diff would have been welded. However; like you say, it may be easier to source the entire transmission.

The front wheel bearings are designed to use the axle as a stub axle. I don't know how the bearings would have stayed in place, perhaps the outer stub axle was left in place. Regardless, I would put new bearings and hubs in the front.

Easy to decipher rear differential. Stock is open; so the wheels will spin in an opposite direction when unloaded.

I don't know if any electronic modifications were done to the ABS system to ignore the Electronic Differential Lock protocol.

Good news, I have found a gearbox and axles for 150$

And yes the outer stub axle was left in place to keep the bearing together.

Only modification done to ABS was taking the plug to the abs brain out (that I know of) when plugged back into the brain abs was working correctly and not displaying error code, not sure if anything else was done in the main brain of the car but It dosen’t seem that way so far, thanks for help