A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Nightmare delivery ..... any advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightmare delivery ..... any advice ?

I have been following the board for a few months and last night I finally took delivery of our 01 A4 1.8T India Red Avant (ordered Nov. 1st). We went over the car and everything looked good. On my way home, about 2 miles away from the dealer (Audi of North Atlanta) as I am slowing down to a light the car starts shaking violently and it smelled burnt for a second. I stopped and put on the hazards, trying to figure out what the ***** was going on since the car only has 8 miles on it. I tried to get moving and first gear wouldn't go in. Called the dealer and brought it back starting in 2nd gear. The "transmission" expert won't be in until Monday so they have no idea what's broken but 1st won't go in.
This really sucks, I was so excited to get the car and all I have is a A4 Tip loaner. Anybody ever heard of anything like this ? Sorry for the long rant, I am just really bummed.
Old 01-13-2001, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ugh, sorry to hear that...

Any chance you had your parking brake on, or are you new to manuals?

My last vehicle was a 93 GMC Jimmy. One day after taking delivery, the truck began to shake bad like you said, and wouldn't shift up from second gear (auto). GMC ended up air-shipping a new transmission out to the dealership, as truck's tranny had failed. The dealer and service were amazed that the unit had failed, but the new tranny went in, and the truck was great. I was fuming when it happened, but what the hell, things like this happen.

Don't worry too much, that is what warranties are for, they are to work out the initial kinks that come with any car brand today, though Audis are generally better than average.

Make sure they tell you what occured when they fix it, was it the clutch was improperly installed, the tranny went bad, etc...and make sure things were replaced, not simply repaired if at all possible. Finally, call AoA (Audi of America) and tell them about this, they might do something for you.

Cheers
Old 01-13-2001, 04:47 PM

Default Give it back, let the dealer worry about it.

Since you just got it and it only has 8 miles on it, you might be able to give it back! Don't believe what the dealer tells you. Look at the fine print on your contract. You might be able to give it back and get your money back. It will be emotionally difficult but, depending on what's wrong with your car, it might be worth it. If I could have given my car back when I got it, I would have.

When I took delivery of my 2001 A4 it had a defective rear main shaft oil seal. It was spitting out oil at an alarming rate. Apparently the wrong seal was installed at the factory. Transmission had to be removed twice, there were complications, it was in the shop for two weeks ( and in transit for another two weeks). It really sucked, and it cost me a lot of money (I mean in addition to what the car cost me and what the warrently covered).

But by the time I got it, I had owned it for a month because I bought it in Washington and immediately had it shipped to Hawaii.

Audi of America was horrible to deal with. They didn't do one thing more than the minimum required by the warrenty. The dealer (Roger Jobs in Bellingham Washington) basically didn't give a damn.

I appologize if my story makes you feel even worse. I hope your experience turns out to be better than mine.

My feelings about my car are gradually improving, but my impression of Audi is indelibly mared. They're customer support is what I would expect from Chevy or Diatsu or something, but not from an austensibly premium car company.

Oh well, no matter how pretty they are, and no matter how much fun they are to drive, they're only cars.
Old 01-13-2001, 05:00 PM

Default The dealer should take it back, unless, of course it was a special order car......More.....

Make sure that they don't permanently register the car until the problems are resolved one way or the other...repaired vs new car...
Old 01-13-2001, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sorry about that dude. it could be anything, just sit back and enjoy the tip (for now)