A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Make my exhaust stealthy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
LQM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make my exhaust stealthy

i'm piecing my exhaust together right now from scratch since my old system is disintegrating
so far all i have is a vibrant muffler. what else should i be looking into to get a nice stealthy exhaust

Any input of what size pipes, a good resonator, and what(if anything) should i do about cats would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

if you want to do stealthy there really isnt much way you can find out by internet. What I would do, and what i did to choose my exhuast, took it to a local exhuast dealer and asked them to try a few out, I got to be there while they did it and I chosed the exhuast. they will also help choosing rest of the options.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:17 PM
LQM
AudiWorld Newcomer

what kind of a set up did you end up with?

i took my car to a shop not long ago and the wanted to charge me 500 to put in a resonator and run new pipes to my existing muffler. so i would really like to buy all my parts online and take it to a shop for them to put together.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

really? well I only added a exhuast, if I wanted to put new piping they would only charge me about 30 for welding and rest wouldnt be alot maybe 150 at max, Im going later to do duel exhuast outlet in front of my rear tires for ony 100$, I have the 2.8L, most people have the 1.8t, il look online if your looking for stealthy but I have to warn you louder means more power- its not just a saying its a fact tested already by import tuners.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM
LQM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i wouldnt mind a bit more back pressure to get some more low torque, right now i have 3" pipes straight to a magnaflow and very little low end grunt.

the bulk of the price they quoted me was for the resonator, around 300 i think
Old 01-12-2010, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LQM
i wouldnt mind a bit more back pressure to get some more low torque, right now i have 3" pipes straight to a magnaflow and very little low end grunt.

the bulk of the price they quoted me was for the resonator, around 300 i think
yikes! I know the feeling of torque is nice but if your for racing (EVen if done on streets like I) theres not much point maybe it would a tiny bit quicker launch but it wouldnt be noticible. but it is your project and I like that! everybody has there own stuff they wanna try. like me im rebuilding my engine with all forged internal parts and increasing my comp ratio 10:3 to 10:5. with Giac chip. I know it sounds crazy but it would be a crazy project and it would be the first out there.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Stock?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM
LQM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i looked into going back to stock but its just way to pricey.

the muffler i bought from ecs is supposedly an "oem sport muffler" though

really i'm just looking for a good resonator to quiet it down and cut out drone

should i be looking into getting some cheap cats? my car has none now
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I still got my stock muffler and resonator, Im willing to sell, do you have any problems with out the cats? did it send off any code?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:54 PM
LQM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Hightone64
I still got my stock muffler and resonator, Im willing to sell, do you have any problems with out the cats? did it send off any code?
Well i bought the car how it is now and i'm not sure what the previous owner did with the o2 sensors but theres a short in that circuit, so it's blowing fuses and throwing off my variable timing. So yeah, theres lots of codes. and the CEL should be on, but he managed to permanently turn it off some how.

I've already ordered a muffler, but i'd take your resonator for a good price. would you have any problems shipping it to canada though?

Quick Reply: Make my exhaust stealthy