A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Looking For a Radio Similar to the factory radio Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For a Radio Similar to the factory radio Some Help

Hi I'm Looking for a radio for my Audi A4 98. I currently have the Concert, it sounds great and all, but sometime i would like to listen to music that i have in my iPod. I tried everything from the cassette adapter to the FM transmitter(Both sound Bad). I need help finding a radio that will look good on the dashboard and will have the same functions as the concert.
Should i get a module that plugs into the back of the radio instead of the Cd Changer? or should I Get the CD Changer? Does the Cd Changer Transmit to the radio the Name Of the Song, Artist,or Album?
THX EVERYONE
Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprinkz
Hi I'm Looking for a radio for my Audi A4 98. I currently have the Concert, it sounds great and all, but sometime i would like to listen to music that i have in my iPod. I tried everything from the cassette adapter to the FM transmitter(Both sound Bad). I need help finding a radio that will look good on the dashboard and will have the same functions as the concert.
Should i get a module that plugs into the back of the radio instead of the Cd Changer? or should I Get the CD Changer? Does the Cd Changer Transmit to the radio the Name Of the Song, Artist,or Album?
THX EVERYONE
The Concert I was first installed in the A4 in 1998, that was before things like ipods, mp3 players existed.

So text files will never work on a Concert I , with or without CD changer.

The Dice, GROM and Blitzsafe (usb, iPod, Aux) adapters that plug into the CD port at the back of the Concert work well, and you retain that OEM look.

The standard stereo on the A4 is wider than an aftermarket unit, so if you put in an aftermarket stereo you will need a metra kit which leaves a small gap on either side.

If you are not doing it yourself get it done at a knowledgeable place (no best buy), if your car has Bose there are extra harnesses to work with the existing amp and speakers. You will need an antenna amp or the radio won't work.

If you think you might remove it when you sell the car make the install easily reversible. The next owner will thank you and it will easier to resell your car if everything still works. Audi OEM stereo is generally best for resale.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FM transmitters in general work poorly, but there is one made by Sosche for an iPod which can broad cast song data through RDS and thus allow the name, album, e.t.c to be displayed on the stereo. There are also FM transmitters which plug in to the radio's antenna connector so there is less interference and the sound is much clearer. If installed properly you can get decent sound and RDS info to display on your stereo with stock stereo equipment. The sound will technically not be as good as CD quality, but whether or not you notice the difference depends on your hearing. The easier route is to get the adapters which plug in to the CD-changer port and accept auxiliary input.

I have modified the antenna setup in my car to switch from main antenna to the little antenna dock I put in the ashtray where I keep my phone. Currently I am using the built-in transmitter in my phone. It works decent. I am also writing a script to display the song info through RDS. Right now it is a bit buggy and just says the first 3 letters of the song name and time remaining. Also doesn't work with other apps. like pandora.