Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2000, 07:01 AM   #1
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 644

Default life expectancy of the master cylinder?

I just had my master cylinder replaced at 55,000 miles. After searching the archieves, this has been a pretty big problem. Do you think they have addressed this issue and are using better quality ones?

What is the expected life of soemthing like this is most cars (domestic or import)?
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 07:09 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 3591

Default Re: life expectancy of the master cylinder?

I had two VW's both had almost 200,000 miles on them and the only items that needed attention were the pads and rotors. One could figure Audi parts should last at least as long as the VW stuff does!!

Daktor71
1999.5 1.8tqms

Old 04-25-2000, 08:17 AM   #3
Rest In Peace
Account #: 320

Default Did you ever bleed the brakes?

Last I have heard, my old 1990 Coupe Quattro had 160K on it and still had OE master cyl. I assume A4 will last as long.

You don't say if you ever bled the brakes. If so, how did you do it? Standard method of one numnut pumping brakes then holding pedal down while other numnut opens bleed screw puts major strain on MC, since you force the piston seals past their normal travel points (look inside an old MC sometime; you will see a wear pattern due to normal piston movement).

I went thru 2 master cylinders on Porsche 911 in about 18 months back in early '80's due to bleeding this way. Switched to pressure bleeding, never had another problem (incl. 120K on '84 and 50K on '95 Porsche, plus above Coupe Quattro).
Ray Calvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 02:54 PM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 644

Default I've never heard of bleeding the brakes, so, no I haven't

Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 03:05 PM   #5
wmv
Account #: 379

Default Pressure bleeding and changing fluid regularly is the ticket for long life of brake parts

Old 04-25-2000, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2033, audi, average, brake, cars, cyclinder, cylender, cylinder, expectancy, expected, forum, life, lifespan, master, span