A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just bought my first Audi, could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first Audi, could use some advice

Hey guys, I just bought. 97 A4 Quattro 1.8T for a winter beater and I could use a little advice. The car seems to accelerate slower than a hoverround so I did every thing I could think of to try to figure out the problem myself. It runs 7 lbs of boost, compression test was not bad for having 140,000 miles, only check engine codes are coolant temp sensor and p1338. It is an auto and the tranny seems to lag when shifting up when trying to just cruise. I was thinking maybe a clogged cat, or tranny fluid is low. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks ahead of time for your input!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

FIll up with 94. Try that.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Groveguy89
Hey guys, I just bought. 97 A4 Quattro 1.8T for a winter beater and I could use a little advice. The car seems to accelerate slower than a hoverround so I did every thing I could think of to try to figure out the problem myself. It runs 7 lbs of boost, compression test was not bad for having 140,000 miles, only check engine codes are coolant temp sensor and p1338. It is an auto and the tranny seems to lag when shifting up when trying to just cruise. I was thinking maybe a clogged cat, or tranny fluid is low. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks ahead of time for your input!
It's an old car that weighs over 3000lb and has only 150hp. The transmissions in the 96-97 are known to be slugs.

Fix the CPS and CTS, do a transmission service. If you want more hp and torque chip it.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So would a tranny flush and fill have an impact on the laggy shifting?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would drain a bit of the fluid from the tranny below and check if the colour and smell is cherry. If brown and burnt smell then only you should flush.
It wouldn't be a bad thing to flush it anyway.
I had a similar thing with a bmw and it turn out to be the crankshaft position sensor
Old 10-21-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Coolant temp sensor will have an effect on overall running. If it thinks the engines cold and its actually at operating temp, it will not be running as efficiently as it should. Its a relatively cheap and easy part to replace. I would do a major service as well, fuel air oil cabin filter, change/check your plugs. These motors are good for well over 200k if you keep up on them.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Audi0s
Coolant temp sensor will have an effect on overall running. If it thinks the engines cold and its actually at operating temp, it will not be running as efficiently as it should. Its a relatively cheap and easy part to replace. I would do a major service as well, fuel air oil cabin filter, change/check your plugs. These motors are good for well over 200k if you keep up on them.
Funny story...I went to O'Reilly to buy the temp sensor...waited a day for delivery, got home it was the wrong part. So I said F*$K O'Reilly and went to AutoZone, waited another day for delivery..also ended up being the wrong part. Am I not looking at the coolant temp sensor? Little plug in the end of a hose just in between the head and firewall? Mine has 4 prongs for the connector, the one both places sold me had 2 prongs? Am I doing something wrong or should these people not be working at auto part stores?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Funny story...I went to O'Reilly to buy the temp sensor...waited a day for delivery, got home it was the wrong part. So I said F*$K O'Reilly and went to AutoZone, waited another day for delivery..also ended up being the wrong part. Am I not looking at the coolant temp sensor? Little plug in the end of a hose just in between the head and firewall? Mine has 4 prongs for the connector, the one both places sold me had 2 prongs? Am I doing something wrong or should these people not be working at auto part stores?
O'Reilly, Pep-Boys, AutoZone, etc are last resort places when you need parts for your Audi. Look up the correct part number, and get them from a reputable online source, or even the dealer. I'll print an online seller's price, take it to the dealer parts department. They often will meet the price or come close enough.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the temp sensor, also check to make sure the thermostat is working. For some reason these A4's eat thermostats.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i had a slight stutter on my acceleration... or pause... so i found out the PCV valve was clogged and also 2 air/vacuum lines had collapsed.... i got those all replaced... and voila - my car has no more pausing when i hit the gas..

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Audi, could use some advice