A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I think it's time to sell/donate my car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff, check your PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

another old-timer leaves town...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Radio removal: You need two tools "appropriate" to remove the radio. On my 1996, I have used two metal nail files stuck in the slot, stick my hand in the tape slot and pull. Others have used two cut off pieces of the metal bar on hanging file folders. There are special flat tools with a little notch cut in them that are made for this, you can buy then at car stereo stores.

I'd try replacing the radio fuse before you decide to give the car away.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 AM
JT
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Mom
another old-timer leaves town...
I haven't left town just yet... Is this Peter?
Thanks for your help guys. I think I fixed the leak (removed those two rubber drain plugs under the battery) and hope to resolve the radio/OBDII communications issues this weekend.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
JT
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Question on manual transmission drain plug tool...

Is this the appropriate manual transmission oil drain plug tool for my '99 1.8T?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Au...A1%7C72%3A1171

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i dont know 100% on audis but ive changed a fair few radios on other cars and the biggest problem i used to have when i first started was getting the removal tools in, they can be tricky as they need to be all the way in otherwise they wont release the locks properly and although you can sometimes wiggle it free it is usually pretty difficult.

So try wiggling and pushing the removal tools in until you either feel that you may break it and dont want to try and harder or until you feel a positive click (the later is what you are after!), then push them both away from each other gently and pull, it should just slide out nice and easy
Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 PM
JT
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Updates...

Today I successfully completed the following:
1) changed oil & oil filter
2) changed manual transmission fluid, but shifting is still not improved. I think I'm going to bleed the brakes/replace the brake fluid now. Doesn't the clutch share the brake fluid? Well, I have had ATE Super Blue Racing fluid in there for YEARS, so I KNOW it's time to drain it and refresh it w/new stock fluid.
3) successfully removed radio (not exactly easy, but kept at it, wiggling tools and pulling from cassette area, until I got the right side out first, then the left). However, after replacing the broken fuse w/a new one, and turning the radio back on, the NEW fuse ended up breaking. Any idea of what's causing this fuse to blow?? As said, it's the stock Bose Premium radio.

Still need to:
4) fix wipers (drivers side)
5) recharge AC system (probably have to bring it to a garage)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jeff
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
JT
Audiworld Senior Member

From searching the archives a bit, I've come to realize that this 5 AMP radio fuse might also solve my AC issues?! I gotta figure out why the fuse is blowing, address that issue, then replace the fuse and hope that I regain my stock BOSE radio, VAG communications port, and maybe even AC/climate control (although heat works just fine)?! Any others with similar experiences or knowledge, please speak up!
Thanks,
-Jeff
Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 AM
JT
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Updates...

1) wiper fixed
2) bled brake calipers (all 4) and replaced ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid w/stock ATE. However, shifting performance hasn't improved and shifting into FIRST & REVERSE is especially difficult.
3) purchased new used stock Bose radio off ebay, installed it, but the darn fuse is STILL blowing. WTF?!

4) also installed a new stock air filter and cleaned out airbox (from air filter side)

Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If all the other gears are fine, then maybe it's the shifter linkage? You have a short shift kit right? How is it difficult for 1st and rev? Putting into gear, grinding?

Originally Posted by JT
1) wiper fixed
2) bled brake calipers (all 4) and replaced ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid w/stock ATE. However, shifting performance hasn't improved and shifting into FIRST & REVERSE is especially difficult.
3) purchased new used stock Bose radio off ebay, installed it, but the darn fuse is STILL blowing. WTF?!

4) also installed a new stock air filter and cleaned out airbox (from air filter side)

Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Quick Reply: I think it's time to sell/donate my car...